Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billswire: Why Bills WR Zay Jones played into second half vs. Lions

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

Billswire: Why Bills WR Zay Jones played into second half vs. Lions

A lot of negative talk about Zay Jones on here lately, which would go against our board leader's vivid predictions for him this season. This article provides something to balance that out with a different perspective, in my opinion. You can take HCSM at face value, or not.

By: Kyle Silagyi | 4 hours ago

Buffalo fans roared when Bills’ wideout Zay Jones reeled in a 29-yard reception in the third quarter of the team’s preseason clash with the Detroit Lions.

It was then that Buffalo fans collectively realized that Jones was playing in the third quarter of a preseason game.

It was a bit odd to see the player who led the Bills in receiving yards last season playing late in the third quarter of a preseason contest. While the offseason signings of John Brown and Cole Beasley did push Jones down the depth chart, the third-year wideout was not thought to be on on the roster bubble.

According to head coach Sean McDermott, keeping Jones into the game well into the second half was a way to get the 24-year-old more reps, as he was not a featured part of the offense in the first two weeks of the preseason.

“Just didn’t feel like we had gotten him a lot of work in the previous games, or balls thrown to him,” McDermott said. “Wanted to give him a little bit of prolonged playing time there, and [I] thought he did a good job. Made the play down the sideline there on the go ball, made a big strong catch which is good to see.”

The increased action benefited Jones, as he reeled in three catches for 46 yards in the 24-20 win against the Lions. Prior to Week 3, Jones had been targeted only five times in the preseason, tallying only two receptions.

While playing deep into the second half would suggest otherwise, Jones’ spot on the 53-man roster is all but locked up. The former East Carolina Pirate developed a rapport with quarterback Josh Allen last season, and the team’s coaching staff has given him a new role on special teams.

Still in his mid-20s, Jones has the potential to develop into a solid second receiving option. He’s a player that Buffalo’s receiving corps looked to for leadership last season; a valuable asset on the field and in the locker room.

Teams typically don’t part ways with those types of players.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/...half-vs-lions/
    "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer...he+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Yeah. He’s not getting cut.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    He is as good as gone.

I kid.

Would not be huge surprise though if he was cut.
    cba fan

waffle=pancake syrup trap

Status
    Groan
    Zay Jones it he #3 or #4 WR on this team. Some WR's take longer than others to develop. I expect him to be on the team and make anther jump in his development this year.
    L*t is a loser

My adapt a Bill is Brandon Beane.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    He's playing on special teams??

Status
    Groan
    Zay Jones is a good blocker. I don't think he should play special teams but he is capable of doing so if they needed him to.
    L*t is a loser

VIP Member

Status
    Groan
    They did it to showcase him(remember showcasing Watkins) to TRY to trade him if they can't get anything for him he will be cut after last preseason game as long as guys don't hit INJURIES between now and then... Injuries is the only thing that keeps him here.... If there are none he's gone
    Adopt a Bill

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    They did it to showcase him(remember showcasing Watkins) to TRY to trade him if they can't get anything for him he will be cut after last preseason game as long as guys don't hit INJURIES between now and then... Injuries is the only thing that keeps him here.... If there are none he's gone
    We will see what happens. I don't see Zay Jones being traded because he doesn't have a high trade value. It's important to have depth at WR, Zay is in his 2nd year in Brian Daboll's system and is a good teammate.
    L*t is a loser

Range Member

Status

Groan
    No way is Zay getting cut.

This year is an opportunity for the wr's to show us what they can do because I fully expect to address wr high in the draft next year if players don't step up.

10. Rock on:

StraightJ (08-25-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would be surprised if he's cut, but I could also understand it. He's being outplayed. If the Bills keep their best performers of this preseason, I'd put him on the bubble.