Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Has anyone on here used LINUX?

  1. #31
    StraightJ's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 7, 2003
    Posts
    14,751
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I tried Mint and I didn’t like it. If I were you I would try peppermint. It’s a little bit lighter and easy to work with.

    (EDIT: after awhile this reply becomes a message to everyone, mostly non-Linux folks, after initially addressing you. Unlike some, I'd rather people be exposed to new ideas, and not shun them due to Lit's fearmongering. Some of you might be ok with that, I clearly was not)

    As far as that thread, he did not take me to the woodshed. That only happened on this site in the politics section and it only happened after he and I have a little squirmish and I never did anything to change any settings and pretty soon after that it stopped happening
    I noticed Opera web browser(one that used to be good, whose founder has now founded Vivaldi and runs it instead) BANS this site! It labels it as malicious, yet does so for none of the many other sites Ive visited with it... So that gave me reason to believe your claims, even though you let Lit mock you and MalwareBytesPro (which I also have in addition to numerous other measures fairly necessary on windoze, due to all the threats on it....as opposed to Linux.

    Im curious what you didnt like about Mint? Ive seen that consistently listed as the top for people coming from Windoze who dont want to spend a lot of time on command line vs GUI, something that has often kept folks from finally migrating. The other one Ive seen a buzz about lately for potential migrants is Manjaro, also supposed to be pretty good out of the box.

    Once comfortable, many of the other options might appeal to different tastes. For any reading this, https://www.distrowatch.com/ has the current rankings. I'm not yet as familiar with the new title holder MXLinux yet as #2, 3, and 4, but apparently a lot of people like it for some reason. It's kind of cool to see a ranking like the AP Top 25 they have for college football and basketball. :)

    Folks, you can do a "live DVD" or flash drive to test it out before installing, or even a dual boot to let you choose which OS to boot, so you can check it out without committing to one thing for life, like some numbskulls do with a WOMAN, lol! And unlike Windoze or Mac, it is FREE and open-source....and you can prevent the constant updates that come at inopportune times on Windows 10(I wouldnt know, I didnt get it when D****s excitedly did a BREAKING in the Shoutbox about being to get it free for a year. Common sense told me not to, along with much of what I read after my initial reaction to the Shoutbox exclamation. :)
    "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971


    https://oathkeepers.org/about/

    The Greatest Story Never Told: EDIT: BANNED from ***tube, too dangerous to evil men.

    https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

    "This is the new pick. This is the 1st pick. To you, this is gold; you do not get this. Because to give it to you would be throwing it away" Glengarry Glen Ross paraphrase. My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

  2. #32
    BuffaBri's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 16, 2002
    Posts
    783
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterateStylish View Post
    Instead of blathering back, how about I just give you an ISO of Linux, let you install it, and then lets see if i'm not being truthful.

    Work for you?
    That's just pure stupid you may as well be saying let me write a backdoor (ANY OS) and all you have to do is install it. Whats's your point? Every OS is vulnerable some more than others but Mint isn't that bad seriously....

  3. Rock on:

    StraightJ (08-19-19)

  4. #33
    HipKat's Avatar
    Fah Q

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 11, 2017
    Posts
    6,157
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightJ View Post
    I noticed Opera web browser(one that used to be good, whose founder has now founded Vivaldi and runs it instead) BANS this site! It labels it as malicious, yet does so for none of the many other sites Ive visited with it... So that gave me reason to believe your claims, even though you let Lit mock you and MalwareBytesPro (which I also have in addition to numerous other measures fairly necessary on windoze, due to all the threats on it....as opposed to Linux.

    Im curious what you didnt like about Mint? Ive seen that consistently listed as the top for people coming from Windoze who dont want to spend a lot of time on command line vs GUI, something that has often kept folks from finally migrating. The other one Ive seen a buzz about lately for potential migrants is Manjaro, also supposed to be pretty good out of the box.

    Once comfortable, many of the other options might appeal to different tastes. For any reading this, https://www.distrowatch.com/ has the current rankings. I'm not yet as familiar with the new title holder MXLinux yet as #2, 3, and 4, but apparently a lot of people like it for some reason. It's kind of cool to see a ranking like the AP Top 25 they have for college football and basketball. :)

    Folks, you can do a "live DVD" or flash drive to test it out before installing, or even a dual boot to let you choose which OS to boot, so you can check it out without committing to one thing for life, like some numbskulls do with a WOMAN, lol! And unlike Windoze or Mac, it is FREE and open-source....and you can prevent the constant updates that come at inopportune times on Windows 10(I wouldnt know, I didnt get it when D****s excitedly did a BREAKING in the Shoutbox about being to get it free for a year. Common sense told me not to, along with much of what I read after my initial reaction to the Shoutbox exclamation. :)

    I used Mint on an old laptop that originally had windows on it and I reformatted it and then installed Mint exclusively and it was just slow which makes me think that it was more bloated than other distro’s that have used.

    And that’s another thing, I’m pretty experienced with Linux. Obviously, that’s what we used when we were doing android ROMs. And the reason I keep talking about peppermint is because for somebody who is new, it’s very lightweight. That’s what I use on that same laptop now and it’s fast. Plus it works with most of the standard programs that you would use on Ubuntu or Mint, which basically use the same engine anyway
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”


    Twitter: @HKTheResistance

    HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

  5. #34
    StraightJ's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 7, 2003
    Posts
    14,751
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I used Mint on an old laptop that originally had windows on it and I reformatted it and then installed Mint exclusively and it was just slow which makes me think that it was more bloated than other distro’s that have used.

    And that’s another thing, I’m pretty experienced with Linux. Obviously, that’s what we used when we were doing android ROMs. And the reason I keep talking about peppermint is because for somebody who is new, it’s very lightweight. That’s what I use on that same laptop now and it’s fast. Plus it works with most of the standard programs that you would use on Ubuntu or Mint, which basically use the same engine anyway
    I get that a lot of people experiement on laptops because they are generally old and slow, and they realize Linux runs much faster than Windoze on them.

    So for the unitiated, when you say Mint lags on your ancient/powerless laptop, how would you compare that to Windoze lag on that same laptop? How would you compare Minto to Windoze 10 in terms of being light? Because Ive seen actual "measured" comparisons for things like time, memory used right out of the gate, etc. Do you recall which version/desktop environment of Mint you used?
    "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971


    https://oathkeepers.org/about/

    The Greatest Story Never Told: EDIT: BANNED from ***tube, too dangerous to evil men.

    https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

    "This is the new pick. This is the 1st pick. To you, this is gold; you do not get this. Because to give it to you would be throwing it away" Glengarry Glen Ross paraphrase. My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

  6. #35
    HipKat's Avatar
    Fah Q

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 11, 2017
    Posts
    6,157
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightJ View Post
    I get that a lot of people experiement on laptops because they are generally old and slow, and they realize Linux runs much faster than Windoze on them.

    So for the unitiated, when you say Mint lags on your ancient/powerless laptop, how would you compare that to Windoze lag on that same laptop? How would you compare Minto to Windoze 10 in terms of being light? Because Ive seen actual "measured" comparisons for things like time, memory used right out of the gate, etc. Do you recall which version/desktop environment of Mint you used?
    I don’t remember the exact version but it was about three years ago so it would’ve been probably one of the 2016 distros. The reason I even used it was because windows was also very slow and lagging on that laptop and that was Windows 10. As far as desktop environments, it was probably cinnamon
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”


    Twitter: @HKTheResistance

    HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

  7. #36
    StraightJ's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 7, 2003
    Posts
    14,751
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I don’t remember the exact version but it was about three years ago so it would’ve been probably one of the 2016 distros. The reason I even used it was because windows was also very slow and lagging on that laptop and that was Windows 10. As far as desktop environments, it was probably cinnamon
    Thanks for the info, I like when we can work together. For ancient machines, Cinnamon is the last desktop environment you'd want, the others in Mint run much lighter from what others have said who have been through similar experiences. I dont expect you to change anything you have installed now, but if you tried the latest version of Cinnamon on a non-ancient machine, or one of the other desktop environments on an ancient machine, I strongly suspect you'd be more impressed. Ive read a lot of first hand accounts, like people you talk to when trying to rile them up while they wait for you to install their entertainment. :)
    "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971


    https://oathkeepers.org/about/

    The Greatest Story Never Told: EDIT: BANNED from ***tube, too dangerous to evil men.

    https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

    "This is the new pick. This is the 1st pick. To you, this is gold; you do not get this. Because to give it to you would be throwing it away" Glengarry Glen Ross paraphrase. My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

  8. #37
    HipKat's Avatar
    Fah Q

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 11, 2017
    Posts
    6,157
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightJ View Post
    Thanks for the info, I like when we can work together. For ancient machines, Cinnamon is the last desktop environment you'd want, the others in Mint run much lighter from what others have said who have been through similar experiences. I dont expect you to change anything you have installed now, but if you tried the latest version of Cinnamon on a non-ancient machine, or one of the other desktop environments on an ancient machine, I strongly suspect you'd be more impressed. Ive read a lot of first hand accounts, like people you talk to when trying to rile them up while they wait for you to install their entertainment. :)
    It probably was cinnamon but I’m not sure, it’s been a while but either way, I probably would’ve looked to see what the lightest DE was.
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”


    Twitter: @HKTheResistance

    HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

  9. #38
    StraightJ's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 7, 2003
    Posts
    14,751
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    It probably was cinnamon but I’m not sure, it’s been a while but either way, I probably would’ve looked to see what the lightest DE was.
    Hey, I'm sure even someone like yourself may occasionally make what turns out not to be the optimal decision, even if the decision is still solid. I think you once admitted to having done so(involving a woman, something I coincidentally used as a metaphor to OSes earlier today in here), so it's possible you may have done so in this case? I mean Cinnamon generally is the most liked for many reasons, but in certain cases(such as old laptops), others can be better.

    Here's a decent article about 13 lightweight desktop environments for anyone reading who is interested. More than one is available on Mint: https://www.tecmint.com/top-best-lin...-environments/
    "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971


    https://oathkeepers.org/about/

    The Greatest Story Never Told: EDIT: BANNED from ***tube, too dangerous to evil men.

    https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

    "This is the new pick. This is the 1st pick. To you, this is gold; you do not get this. Because to give it to you would be throwing it away" Glengarry Glen Ross paraphrase. My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

  10. #39
    HipKat's Avatar
    Fah Q

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 11, 2017
    Posts
    6,157
    Groan
    0
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightJ View Post
    Hey, I'm sure even someone like yourself may occasionally make what turns out not to be the optimal decision, even if the decision is still solid. I think you once admitted to having done so(involving a woman, something I coincidentally used as a metaphor to OSes earlier today in here), so it's possible you may have done so in this case? I mean Cinnamon generally is the most liked for many reasons, but in certain cases(such as old laptops), others can be better.

    Here's a decent article about 13 lightweight desktop environments for anyone reading who is interested. More than one is available on Mint: https://www.tecmint.com/top-best-lin...-environments/
    Most definitely. If I wan't looking for the lightest, I may have searched for the most stable. BTW, that a article is pretty dated. In 2017, Ubuntu switched to Gnome as the default from Unity
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”


    Twitter: @HKTheResistance

    HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •