Thread: C1 BUF: Bills-Panthers joint practice recap day one

waffle=pancake syrup trap

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

C1 BUF: Bills-Panthers joint practice recap day one

The Buffalo Bills traveled to Spartanburg, South Carolina where the Carolina Panthers hold training camp at Wofford College. The teams are holding two days of joint practices together before their preseason game at Bank of America Stadium on Friday. The practices will give each team a chance to go up against new competition and break up the monotony of training camp, giving players a new measuring stick by which they can judge their performance.

Our very own Greg Tompsett was in attendance and was joined by The Draft Network's Joe Marino to provide a recap from Tuesday's session.
    Sounds like Josh Allen had a good day at the joint practice.
    L*t is a losser

Literatesytlish "All you did is waste precious MB's of server space." Lit can attack me every chance he gets in call out threads and posts, but I waste server space when I respond. This is Litlogic.

2. Rock on:

SackMan518 (08-13-19),StraightJ (08-13-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Yeah I heard Allen was showing poise and threading needles. Dropped a 50 yard dime to Brown that he dropped with a little help from the DB.

4. Rock on:

junglesouljah (08-13-19),StraightJ (08-13-19)

Range Member

Status

Groan
    Good to hear Josh had a solid practice.

Status
    Groan
    https://www.buffalobills.com/news/to...joint-practice

Top 3 things to know from the first Bills-Panthers joint practice
    Chris_Brown-headshot2017
    Chris Brown
    BILLS INSIDER

081319-josh-allen
    Josh Allen makes a throw during a joint practice with the Carolina Panthers at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina, August 13, 2019. Photo by Bill Wippert
    1. Offense clicks in 7-on-7 red zone

SPARTANBURG, SC - On the first day of joint practices with the Carolina Panthers at Wofford College, Buffalo’s offense demonstrated some good chemistry in the red zone during an early 7-on-7 period.

Zay Jones got things started with a high-reaching acrobatic grab over his head at the goal line that drew cheers from Bills fans just 20 yards away.

Two plays later Josh Allen gunned a slant pass into a tight window to John Brown for a touchdown.

“I thought we did a good job today,” said Allen of the offensive performance. “Different environment, playing in different weather against a different team. I think we adjusted pretty well. Our juice was there seeing a different team across the ball from us. We needed that. I was super impressed with how we handled things.”

Matt Barkley continued the positive momentum for the Bills offense.

He found Duke Williams underneath in the middle for an eight-yard touchdown pass.

Barkley then had the prettiest pass of the period as he dropped a pass over Cam Phillips’ shoulder on a corner route for a touchdown. The fans in attendance erupted as Phillips made a leaping grab and got both feet down before his momentum carried him out of the side of the end zone.

The series closed with Barkley hitting Christian Wade out in the right flat and he scampered over the goal line before the Panthers defender could reach him.

“We’re just trying to make some plays against some different looks and some different faces and play the game of football.”

2. Allen benefits from Panthers 3-4 defense

The Bills offense has been facing their own defense for the better part of the last two weeks every day in practice. Facing the Panthers on Tuesday, Josh Allen and company saw a defensive front far different from that of their own.

“It’s a chance to get our offense in front of a different system and scheme and to develop as a team,” said head coach Sean McDermott. “The benefit is we come down and face a different defense as opposed to the one they played the last couple of years. It’s good for us because we’re going to go against some 3-4 opponents this year.”

Buffalo’s offense made a fair number of plays in the short to intermediate areas, but had a tough time connecting on some deep shots.

Josh Allen had a solid strike over the middle to John Brown who was cutting across the field, but the two couldn’t link up on a deep post pattern. Allen dropped it right over Brown’s shoulder, but he couldn’t hang onto the ball as it fell incomplete.

Buffalo’s quarterback was most encouraged by the way things were organized up front against the 3-4 scheme. This despite the continued practice of mixing and matching interior line combinations.

“They do a couple of different things, especially their front four,” Allen said. “They line up a little differently so we had to change some protections. We’ve got to be right on those. I thought we did a good job.”

After practice concluded Allen went to seek out Panthers Pro Bowl linebacker Luke Kuechly for his thoughts on a particular play concept the Bills ran against him during the team segment.

“I talked to him about a play and he said it’s a good concept and we talked about the hardships for a defense on that play,” said Allen. “I wanted to know why he did what he did on the concept we ran. I just took a couple of words from him here and there.

“Obviously people revere him as one of the smartest guys in the league. I spent some time with Luke before in the past just hearing him talk about football. I talked to him about a certain play after practice and just the insight that he has and knowledge he has is pretty awesome. In the end we don’t have each other on our schedules, so we’re just trying to make each other better.”

RELATED LINKS
    Quick Hits: Mitch Morse moving in a positive direction
    Bills Today: Coaches won't tolerate fights in joint practices
    How fans can follow the Bills in Carolina
    Buffalo Bills take part in a joint practice with the Carolina Panthers at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina, August 13, 2019.
    Photo by Bill Wippert
    WR Isaiah McKenzie runs past LB Jared Norris during Tuesday's joint practice with the Carolina Panthers at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina, August 13, 2019. Photo by Bill Wippert
    3. Wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie steps up

The first two weeks of training camp at St. John Fisher were not super productive for Isaiah McKenzie, who was running with the second and third team offensive units during that time.

Then came the preseason opener and McKenzie flashed his trademark burst in the passing game where he had two receptions for 62 yards including a game-high 38-yarder. He also had a productive punt return that gave Buffalo’s offense a drive start in Indianapolis territory that led to Buffalo’s first touchdown.

McKenzie has since carried that play into the last three practices.

“I think of late he has picked up where he left off last season,” said head coach Sean McDermott. “You saw his production in the game the other night. So there’s some good competition at that position for us.”

McKenzie appears to be moving up in the receiver rotation as he is getting more reps with the second unit and he’s made the most of them.

In the final 11-on-11 period, McKenzie made three receptions including a touchdown catch on a crossing route when he demonstrated soft hands despite being on the receiving end of a bullet pass from Matt Barkley.

“It is coming to me more fluidly the last few days,” McKenzie told Buffalobills.com. “The plays I know like the back of my hand. Now I’m just looking at the defense and the adjustments I have to make and working on my craft.

“I just want to be consistent. The last few days I’ve been consistent and I’ve been doing my job and that’s all I can do.”
    L*t is a losser

Literatesytlish "All you did is waste precious MB's of server space." Lit can attack me every chance he gets in call out threads and posts, but I waste server space when I respond. This is Litlogic.

Status
    Groan
    Bills-Panthers joint practice wrap-up: News, injuries, lineup notes, quotes, more
    Updated Aug 13, 8:10 PM; Posted Aug 13, 7:53 PM
    Buffalo's Darryl Johnson during the Buffalo Bills "Return of the Blue and Red" training camp night practice at New Era field, Orchard Park, NY, Friday, Aug 2, 2019.
    Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.

Buffalo's Darryl Johnson during the Buffalo Bills "Return of the Blue and Red" training camp night practice at New Era field, Orchard Park, NY, Friday, Aug 2, 2019.

Comment
    48 shares
    By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

The Buffalo Bills and Carolina Panthers held their first joint practice on Tuesday morning.

The session seemed to benefit both teams ahead of their preseason matchup on Friday night. What happened at Wofford College? Here’s a run-down.

NEWS
    Josh Allen performs well

Josh Allen had more ups than downs at Wofford College against the Carolina Panthers defense. NYUP’s Matt Parrino noted that Allen once again worked the short game efficiently while mixing in a few deep passes along the way. One of Allen’s best balls of the day was a 50-plus yard pass to John Brown in tight coverage that should have resulted in a touchdown. Instead, the ball fell incomplete.

Mitch Morse takes step forward in protocol

The Bills received good news on the Mitch Morse front on Tuesday.

Morse was spotted in pads and a non-contact jersey after head coach Sean McDermott noted that the center was moving in a positive direction. He appears to be one step closer to returning to action for Buffalo.

Luke Kuechly praises Allen, Bills offense

Luke Kuechly came away impressed with Josh Allen and the Bills offense on Tuesday. The middle linebacker talked up Allen and Cole Beasley while noting that he believes Allen is poised to take the next step in 2019.

“He’s got some good guys to throw the ball to,” Kuechly told WKBW-TV’s Matt Bove. “I thought Cole Beasley did a good job running routes today. You look at young quarterbacks and they make a big jump from (year) one to two and I think Josh is poised for that.”

INJURIES
    -C Mitch Morse (concussion protocol)

-TE Dawson Knox (hamstring)

-OT Conor McDermott (concussion protocol)

-C Russell Bodine (oblique)

LINEUP NOTES
    Bills first-team OL: Dion Dawkins-Quinton Spain-Jon Feliciano-Cody Ford-Ty Nsekhe

Buffalo’s first-team offensive line was a familiar unit on Tuesday. Feliciano will be bumped to the second team when Mitch Morse is 100 percent, but his ability to play both guard spots and center makes him a valuable piece to the offensive line.

Cody Ford had a tough day at the office on Tuesday going against Gerald McCoy. Ford is going to have some ups-and-downs as a rookie, but the joint practices should be a great learning experience for the rookie offensive lineman.

Darryl Johnson works with second-team defense

Darryl Johnson stood out for the Bills in their preseason opener against the Colts and received some second-team reps at defensive end on Tuesday. The Athletic’s Matthew Fairburn noted what Johnson and Mike Love manned the defensive end spots with Shaq Lawson playing at tackle.

“It’s big. I expect myself to make those plays as much as I can. (Now I just have) to keep it up. Now it’s all about consistency. I want to go out here and do the same thing tomorrow.”

-Levi Wallace on getting an interception versus Cam Newton after going without interception in 2018

TWEETS OF THE DAY
    The Bills Mafia was well represented away from home as shown by Thad Brown, Matt Parrino and Sal Capaccio
    https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffa...otes-more.html
    L*t is a losser

Status
    Groan
    Bills-Panthers joint practice: How did Josh Allen do against Carolina defense? (5 observations)
    Posted Aug 13, 2:31 PM
    Buffalo's Josh Allen during day nine of the Buffalo Bills training camp at St. John Fisher College, Rochester, NY, Friday, Aug 4, 2019.
    Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.

Buffalo's Josh Allen during day nine of the Buffalo Bills training camp at St. John Fisher College, Rochester, NY, Friday, Aug 4, 2019.

Comment
    177 shares
    By Matt Parrino | mparrino@nyup.com

Spartanburg, S.C. -- The Buffalo Bills and Carolina Panthers utilized two side-by-side practice fields on the campus of Wofford College Tuesday morning for the first of their two joint practices ahead of a preseason clash on Friday night.

It was hard to track all the action as the two offenses went up against the other team’s defense. It was almost like dueling pianos as Bills quarterback Josh Allen and Carolina quarterback Cam Newton went to work almost in unison in front of the hoards of Bills fans that packed in behind a barricaded fence at the far end of the fields.

My eyes tended to focus more on Allen and the Bills offense as they continue to try and cultivate some chemistry, particularly in the passing game.

Here are five observations from Tuesday’s Bills-Panthers joint practice.

1. Josh Allen made a few nice throws and worked the short game

Are we noticing the pattern here, people? This Bills team is going to work the short game with their passing attack in 2019.

Allen was on point for the most part in 11-on-11 drills, getting the ball out quickly and spreading it around to different receivers. He had a few plays that could have been real crowd pleasers but his receivers let him down. He aired one out 50 yards into the end zone to receiver John Brown and it hit him in the hands, but he dropped it as he battled the sun and a defensive back who had tight coverage throughout the play.

It was almost as if Allen realized toward the end of practice that slot wizard Cole Beasley hadn’t caught a ball in the team drills for almost the entire practice. in the final 11-on-11 he started targeting Beasley, who made it look easy against Panthers linebacker Jermaine Carter. After the 31-year-old got the necessary separation and the reception, he made one quick juke move and jetted upfield.

Some balls weren’t exactly on the money, though. Allen threw one too hard on Andre Roberts in 7-on-7 that needed a little more touch. He also overthrew Robert Foster, as hard as that can be to do. In that same red zone period he found Brown on a slant and Zay Jones for touchdowns.

Allen thought overall it was a productive day for the Bills offense.

“I thought we did a good job today,” he said. “Obviously a different environment, different weather and against a different team. I think we adjusted well and I think our juice was there. Being able to see somebody different across the ball from us - I think we needed that.”

Matt Parrino
    @MattParrino
    7-on-7 here at #Bills #Panthers joint practice. Josh Allen just found Zay Jones for a red zone TD against Carolina first team defense. Next play Andre Roberts couldn’t bring in a torpedo from Allen over middle. Next Allen to John Brown on a perfect bullet on quick slant.

10:04 AM - Aug 13, 2019 · Spartanburg, SC
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    28 people are talking about this
    2. Levi Wallace picks off Cam Newton

Bills sophomore cornerback Levi Wallace did something in practice Tuesday that he couldn’t do a single time in a game last season: intercept a pass thrown by another team’s quarterback.

Making the moment even sweeter, it was against the 2015 NFL Most Valuable Player Cam Newton.

“It’s big. I expect myself to make those plays as much as I can,” Wallace said. “(Now I just have) to keep it up. Now it’s all about consistency. I want to go out here and do the same thing tomorrow.”

The interception came against Newton as he was trying to fit a pass into a crowded pocket in the back of the end zone. Panthers tight end Greg Olsen was in the vicinity of the throw but Wallace came away with it.

3. Overall the Panthers offense seemed to be more in sync

As the two offenses worked in team drills the Panthers were consistently moving down the field more effectively and at a quicker pace.

Newton seemed to be making some things happen against a Bills secondary and linebacker unit that’s hoping to be one of the most stout groups in the NFL in 2019.

On one play Newton went short to running back Christian McCaffery, who was being covered by Bills linebacker Matt Milano. The speedy back blazed past Milano and into the second level of the defense. Milano has looked a step slow a few times during camp and in the Bills’ preseason win over the Colts in his limited playing time. He’s still working his way back from a season-ending broken leg last season.

4. Mitch Morse progressing in protocol

Bills center Mitch Morse has only participated in one padded practice since signing his record-breaking contract this offseason. He was back in (some) pads Tuesday and Bills coach Sean McDermott said Morse in progressing in the protocol.

With Morse just working mostly in warmups and one-on-one drills vs. air with his line mates, guard/center Jon Feliciano was inserted once again with the first team offense. Rookie Cody Ford spent the majority of his time at practice at right guard with Ty Nsekhe again at right tackle. Dion Dawkins and Quinton Spain continue to be the constant on the line at left tackle and left guard, respectively.

5. Robert Foster’s wheels impressed Panthers backup cornerback

On the overthrow to Foster Panthers third team cornerback Lorenzo Doss was in coverage. Foster absolutely smoked him.

After the play Doss let out a big, “Whew!” Foster’s speed is something to behold from the sidelines but in person it’s next level.

More Buffalo Bills coverage from NYUP.com
    https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffa...ervations.html
    L*t is a losser

Status
    Groan
    Panthers’ Luke Kuechly thinks Bills QB Josh Allen is poised for ‘jump’ in Year 2
    Posted Aug 13, 6:06 PM
    Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen looks to throw during the first half of an NFL pre-season football game against the Indianapolis Colts, Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019, in Orchard Park, N.Y. (AP Photo/Adrian Kraus)
    AP

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen looks to throw during the first half of an NFL pre-season football game against the Indianapolis Colts, Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019, in Orchard Park, N.Y. (AP Photo/Adrian Kraus)

Comment
    278 shares
    By Matt Parrino | mparrino@nyup.com

Spartanburg, S.C. -- Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly got an up close and personal look at Buffalo Bills second-year quarterback Josh Allen Tuesday morning and he liked what he saw.

“His athleticism is one of his biggest strengths,” Kueckly told Matthew Bove of WKBW after Tuesday’s joint practice between the Panthers and Bills at Wofford College. “(He has a) big arm, he’s fast and he runs well. But I think what he did a good job with today is the ball came out quick and he was quick on his reads.”

That’s been an area Allen and Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll have been focusing on the past few weeks during training camp. Allen’s 52.8-percent completion rate last season has been one of the most talk-about parts of the passer’s rookie season. If Allen can start to complete the quick hitters it could take his game to the next level.

The next level is where Kuechly thinks Allen is headed in Year 2.

“He’s got some good guys to throw the ball to,” Kuechly said. “I thought Cole Beasley did a good job running routes today. You look at young quarterbacks and they make a big jump from (year) one to two and I think Josh is poised for that.”

Buffalo Bills News

@billsupdates
    The #Bills and #Panthers had their first showdown in Spartanburg today. @MattParrino had some thoughts on how the joint practice went down. #BillsMafia

5 observations ➡️ https://PornHub.com/big-black-cocks-sucking//2YMsMvi

Embedded video
    3:16 PM - Aug 13, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See Buffalo Bills News's other Tweets
    This isn’t the first time Kuechly and Allen have crossed paths. Allen said on Tuesday thathe’s spent some time with Kuechly in the past and has always come away impressed with the linebacker’s football knowledge.

“People refer to him as one of the smartest guys they’ve been around football wise and I can attest to that,” Allen said. I got a chance to talk to him about a certain play after practice. Just the insight and the knowledge he has is pretty awesome."

Kuechly was impressed with a particular concept that worked during 11-on-11 drills. He spoke to Allen about it to try and see what they both could learn from the play. Allen was careful not to give up too much insider details.

“I went up to him and he said that (a play we ran) was a good concept,” Allen said. “We just talked about the hardships for a defense on that certain play and what could make that play not so great. ... (Then we talked about) Why he did what he did on the certain play we ran. What we’re looking at and what our read is.

“At the end of the day we don’t have each other on our schedule so we’re trying to make each other better.”
    https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffa...in-year-2.html
    L*t is a losser

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Good work Jungle, I appreciate your contribution.
    "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

The Greatest Story Never Told: EDIT: BANNED from ***tube, too dangerous to evil men.

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

"This is the new pick. This is the 1st pick. To you, this is gold; you do not get this. Because to give it to you would be throwing it away" Glengarry Glen Ross paraphrase. My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy