Thread: Herodotus!

Fah Q

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

Herodotus!

Nile shipwreck discovery proves Herodotus right – after 2,469 years

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/...YVqVEPcpo9gu-8

Greek historian’s description of ‘baris’ vessel vindicated by archaeologists at sunken city of Thonis-Heraclion

In the fifth century BC, the Greek historian Herodotus visited Egypt and wrote of unusual river boats on the Nile. Twenty-three lines of his Historia, the ancient world’s first great narrative history, are devoted to the intricate description of the construction of a “baris”.

For centuries, scholars have argued over his account because there was no archaeological evidence that such ships ever existed. Now there is. A “fabulously preserved” wreck in the waters around the sunken port city of Thonis-Heracleion has revealed just how accurate the historian was.

“It wasn’t until we discovered this wreck that we realised Herodotus was right,” said Dr Damian Robinson, director of Oxford University’s centre for maritime archaeology, which is publishing the excavation’s findings. “What Herodotus described was what we were looking at.”
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post

Greek historian’s description of ‘baris’ vessel vindicated by archaeologists at sunken city of Thonis-Heraclion

In the fifth century BC, the Greek historian Herodotus visited Egypt and wrote of unusual river boats on the Nile. Twenty-three lines of his Historia, the ancient world’s first great narrative history, are devoted to the intricate description of the construction of a “baris”.

For centuries, scholars have argued over his account because there was no archaeological evidence that such ships ever existed. Now there is. A “fabulously preserved” wreck in the waters around the sunken port city of Thonis-Heracleion has revealed just how accurate the historian was.

“It wasn’t until we discovered this wreck that we realised Herodotus was right,” said Dr Damian Robinson, director of Oxford University’s centre for maritime archaeology, which is publishing the excavation’s findings. “What Herodotus described was what we were looking at.”
    Cool find, but nah wasn't me. My focus was German-Soviet relations during the 1920s and 30s. I chose the handle Herodotus because he is the father of history. Btw, whenever someone calls a left of center historian a revisionist, just remember that all history written since Thucydides has been revisionist. Still a cool find.

My favorite aspect of antiquity is just how interconnected they all were. Sure, it wasn't internet, tv, radio, or plane fast but there was a lot of trade connecting very different peoples fairly early. I think Gavin Menzies, China is responsible for the renaissance and the mezo American civilizations, is suspect at best and I do not buy too much into Black Athena theory, Egypt and Subsaharan Africa created Hellenic civilization, and I think white nationalist garbage that all the world's great civilizations were established by northern Europeans can be dismissed without argument, but I do think that there was more contact, trade, and cross pollination than people realize.

So yeah, the ancient world is so damn fascinating. The biggest shock of all is that the people of the ancient world were not to different from you or me. For instance, as seen on the History Channel's (and yes, they actually had history once) What the Ancient Romans did for us, the Roman surgical kit was not too different (minus scans, optics and the like) from our own. If a man could make it to 18 he could expect to live into his 70s or 80s, and if a woman could make it to adulthood and survive childbirth she could live into her 70s or 80s. The big difference between then and now in terms of medicine are vaccines (another reason I hate anti vaxxers), neonatal and ob-gyn care that allows women to survive childbirth far more than they did centuries ago, and food and water security. Yeah, the only things that would fell you if you made it to your 18th year was if you were around in a time of war, or if there was pestilence or famine.

Sadly, for about 1000 years c. 450 to 1450 AD/CE knowledge declined and was only preserved by the Monastic orders and the Islamic Calliphates. Knowledge did not die but much was lost due to warfare, religious fanaticism, barbarian incursions, and general upheval during the civil wars and barbarian invasion that destroyed Rome.

Anyways, cool story. Thanks for sharing

3. Rock on:

HipKat (08-12-19)

Fah Q

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
    Cool find, but nah wasn't me. My focus was German-Soviet relations during the 1920s and 30s. I chose the handle Herodotus because he is the father of history. Btw, whenever someone calls a left of center historian a revisionist, just remember that all history written since Thucydides has been revisionist. Still a cool find.

My favorite aspect of antiquity is just how interconnected they all were. Sure, it wasn't internet, tv, radio, or plane fast but there was a lot of trade connecting very different peoples fairly early. I think Gavin Menzies, China is responsible for the renaissance and the mezo American civilizations, is suspect at best and I do not buy too much into Black Athena theory, Egypt and Subsaharan Africa created Hellenic civilization, and I think white nationalist garbage that all the world's great civilizations were established by northern Europeans can be dismissed without argument, but I do think that there was more contact, trade, and cross pollination than people realize.

So yeah, the ancient world is so damn fascinating. The biggest shock of all is that the people of the ancient world were not to different from you or me. For instance, as seen on the History Channel's (and yes, they actually had history once) What the Ancient Romans did for us, the Roman surgical kit was not too different (minus scans, optics and the like) from our own. If a man could make it to 18 he could expect to live into his 70s or 80s, and if a woman could make it to adulthood and survive childbirth she could live into her 70s or 80s. The big difference between then and now in terms of medicine are vaccines (another reason I hate anti vaxxers), neonatal and ob-gyn care that allows women to survive childbirth far more than they did centuries ago, and food and water security. Yeah, the only things that would fell you if you made it to your 18th year was if you were around in a time of war, or if there was pestilence or famine.

Sadly, for about 1000 years c. 450 to 1450 AD/CE knowledge declined and was only preserved by the Monastic orders and the Islamic Calliphates. Knowledge did not die but much was lost due to warfare, religious fanaticism, barbarian incursions, and general upheval during the civil wars and barbarian invasion that destroyed Rome.

I agree. I say often that I would have made a good archaeologist. Ancient times fascinate me and I'm a natural born explorer.
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post

The history of travel itself is fascinating. A couple years ago I had the chance to spend time in Lisbon. Looking out over the harbor you could imagine that the activity wasn’t much different. Ships off to find new Worlds, treasures, trouble.

6. Rock on:

HipKat (08-13-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post

More importantly Herodotus inspired Hank Pym to invent the Herodotron.; a device used to record all history. With this, the current team of Avengers was able to pinpoint the time locality where the Scarlet Centurion changed history.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Donald Trump: “ The Avengers movie (which was fabulous, by the way), was a bit misleading. What really happened was they called me, and using my fabulous fabulous Herodotron, I gave them the coordinates to locate where the Scarlet Centurion was. They don’t call me the Aquarian for nothing”.

9. Rock on:

HipKat (08-15-19),Meathead (08-17-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Of course the Akashic records already had all of that and more, as well as "extending" into what humans call the future. Being adept at astral projection may not be a necessary component to accessing these energy imprints, as some believe.

In the opening verse to one of my favorite Led Zepelin songs "Kashmir", I think Robert Plant may have been referencing them with the lines:
    I am a traveler of both time and space
    To be where I have been

Certainly not as exciting as arguing about Bills QBs or Trump to some people, but to others whom are more disciplined, it can be of great value and insight.

Music has not been made anywhere close to this level since the big club BANNED mind-expanding substances to the general public and steered some of us unfortunately toward more dangerous alternatives. But yeah, give your money to Hollywood instead and watch other(fictional) people do things....

"I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer...he+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Hero dot US, I tried to go to your website (hero.us), but it wouldnt connect. So I thought it might be a nice domain to purchase and squat on if it was available, but apparently someone already did. Someone stole your website!
    "I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway".
    -Syd Barrett, founder of Pink Floyd. Rolling Stone, December 1971

https://oathkeepers.org/about/

Europa: The last Battle is the new best documentary in existence: https://search.bitchute.com/renderer...he+Last+Battle

https://nativeamericanchurches.org/

My adopt a Bill is LeSean McCoy

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightJ View Post
    Hero dot US, I tried to go to your website (hero.us), but it wouldnt connect. So I thought it might be a nice domain to purchase and squat on if it was available, but apparently someone already did. Someone stole your website!
    Probably a history buff. Or someone with narcissistic tendencies

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by jc856 View Post
    Probably a history buff. Or someone with narcissistic tendencies
    Nah, just a history buff. I do have some narcissistic tendendcies, I think most of us probably do to one extent or another or we would not post on places like this, but nah not my website. I do have a blog that I rarely post at, and a facebook and twitter, but that's about it

14. Rock on:

HipKat (08-18-19)