Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No change, no deal in offing for Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney - ( Should Buffalo trade for Clowney? )

waffle=pancake syrup trap

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

No change, no deal in offing for Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney - ( Should Buffalo trade for Clowney? )

Any potential trade for Jadeveon Clowney would have to include a DE like Shaq Lawson and a 2020 2nd round pick, possible 2021 2nd round conditional pick. Clowney is on a one year $15.967 million franchise tender, and it looks like the Texans don't want to commit to him long term so they have very little leverage in a trade.

No change, no deal in offing for Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney
    Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle July 9, 2019
    Comments

Houston Texans outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney (90) in action against the Washington Redskins in an NFL game, Sunday, November 18, 2018 in Landover, Md. (AP Photo/Daniel Kucin Jr.)
    Photo: Daniel Kucin Jr./Associated Press
    The status quo and stalemate between the Texans and unsigned Pro Bowl outside linebacker-defensive end Jadeveon Clowney remains unchanged and unwavering heading into an NFL deadline next Monday afternoon.

The Texans and Clowney are not expected to reach a last-minute contract extension prior to the deadline for NFL teams to sign franchise players to new deals, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

That means that Clowney, one of the Texans' top defensive players, will play this season under a $15.967 million franchise tender.

The former top overall pick from South Carolina isn't expected to sign the tender anytime soon and is expected to miss at least a major portion of, if not all of training camp. Clowney is expected to report prior to the regular season when he is due weekly $939,235 game checks.

Under NFL collective bargaining agreement rules governing franchise players, they aren't required to report for offseason activities, training camp or games until they sign the tender.

Clowney has been training away from the team with NBA superstar LeBron James' trainer, David Alexander, and appears to be in excellent shape based on his workout videos he has posted on social media.

Being in shape and being in football shape are vastly different things, though.

"The thing about football is the adage has been you work with the guys who are here," Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel said. "And so that's who you work with because they might be the guys you have to play with, so you better get them as good as you can get them and then if a guy like Clowney comes back, see where he is.

"We know what he can do when he's on the top of his game. We work with the guys we have here and hopefully they can get better so if somewhere down the road they have to play in a game they can perform at a high level."

The cost for elite pass rushers and run-stoppers keeps going up, including a six-year, $141 million deal for the Chicago Bears' Khalil Mack and a six-year, $135 million contract for Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. The most recent deals for top pass rushers include Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence's five-year, $105 million contract that includes $65 million guaranteed, a $25 million signing bonus and an average of $21 million per year and Detroit Lions defensive end Trey Flowers' five-year, $90 million contract that includes $56 million guaranteed.

"Of course, I want to come back," Clowney said when asked at the end of the season about the franchise tag. "I promise to the Texans and whoever else is watching that I'm going to be a much better, improved player next season. I haven't been thinking about a contract.

"If I come back and play well like I know I'm going to, contract will take care of itself. I'm going to work on my craft and work on my game. That's what I'm worrying about."

Clowney has been named to three consecutive Pro Bowls.
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...y-14083551.php
    L*t is a losser

Literatesytlish "All you did is waste precious MB's of server space." Lit can attack me every chance he gets in call out threads and posts, but I waste server space when I respond. This is Litlogic.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    We'll do it for Lawson and a 4th rounder. Take it or leave it Texas!
    Sack

3. Rock on:

CooterHooterKnocker (07-16-19),junglesouljah (07-10-19),seandelevan (07-11-19),Woody (07-11-19)

VIP Member

Status
    Groan
    I would argue that the Texans leverage comes from a combination of having a quality player that multiple teams could be in on.

Though it was a year earlier and a better version of Clowney we saw something similar play out with Mack. Between the Mack trade and the Clark trade at the draft the market is established for both compensation to the team for a trade and compensation to the player to sign long term.

Any potential trade involving Clowney will at a minimum have to include a 1st round pick and involve signing Clowney long term with at least 50 million guaranteed

VIP Member

Status
    Groan
    We are in great cap shape. But I would be hesitant to sign high priced players on a position of strength. WHile DE might not be a position of strength, the overall D is. So only high priced toys on O.
    And in ~2 years quite a few of our cheap draft picks who perform very well, will be needed to be resigned. So IMO no need to throw money at Clowney now.
    Proud adopter of #16 Robert Foster and owner of Lit while sitting in the drivers seat of the bandwagon of
    The Buffalo Eightyfive percents

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    I'd love to have him, but he's not going to propel this team to the next level. That's all I need to know, I'm not giving up a pick and a huge payday for him.

I would have gone in on Mack, a REAL difference maker, but not at 2 1st round picks and 140M. The contract is one thing, but you have to leverage 1st round picks for low cost, high level play for 4-5 years to win.

7. Rock on:

seandelevan (07-11-19),Woody (07-12-19)

Range Member

Status

Groan
    He's going to eat a lot of cap space.

I'd rather use it on offense.

Resident Pessimist

Status
    Groan
    Can he score touchdowns?

No?

Pass...

Orinally Posted by seandelevan
    A Bills fan could have gone into a coma in 2000, just woke up, and be shocked that he had not missed a thing!!! HAHAHAHA

I nominate this post of the month, maybe more. Seriously, seriously it encapsulates everything of importance in one sentence. An indie film maker could possibly do well with that concept. -StraightJ 10/7/12

Originally Posted by bad radio
    If by "best" you mean "most grumpy and dickish," then yes, happy birthday.

jc856-“if you’re good you suck, if you’re bad you suck, if you suck you suck, if you don’t suck,....guess what....you suck”

10. Rock on:

Woody (07-12-19)

waffle=pancake syrup trap

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by seandelevan View Post
    Can he score touchdowns?

No?

Pass...
    The New York Giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl in 2007 and 2011 because they limited the Patriots offense, and hit Brady.

Of course, you want to score points, but you also have to get in Brady's face, make him feel uncomfortable and limit the production of the Patriots offense.
    L*t is a losser

Literatesytlish "All you did is waste precious MB's of server space." Lit can attack me every chance he gets in call out threads and posts, but I waste server space when I respond. This is Litlogic.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SackMan518 View Post
    We'll do it for Lawson and a 4th rounder. Take it or leave it Texas!
    Cool.

Resident Pessimist

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by junglesouljah View Post
    The New York Giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl in 2007 and 2011 because they limited the Patriots offense, and hit Brady.

Of course, you want to score points, but you also have to get in Brady's face, make him feel uncomfortable and limit the production of the Patriots offense.
    Agreed. We tried this cute experiment a few years...with Mario Williams...we had arguably the best DL in the fucking league with him, Kyle, Jerry, and Marcel.....and we.still.couldnt.beat.the.pats. And we.still.sucked. If I’m correct we lost to pats a few times in that era with retarded scores like 13-6 or 17-10. Man I would trade a shitty offense for a shitty defense 1000% of the time.

Orinally Posted by seandelevan
    A Bills fan could have gone into a coma in 2000, just woke up, and be shocked that he had not missed a thing!!! HAHAHAHA

I nominate this post of the month, maybe more. Seriously, seriously it encapsulates everything of importance in one sentence. An indie film maker could possibly do well with that concept. -StraightJ 10/7/12

Originally Posted by bad radio
    If by "best" you mean "most grumpy and dickish," then yes, happy birthday.

jc856-“if you’re good you suck, if you’re bad you suck, if you suck you suck, if you don’t suck,....guess what....you suck”

14. Rock on:

Woody (07-12-19)