Thread: Virtue Signaling Costs College $33M in War Against Bakery

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

Virtue Signaling Costs College $33M in War Against Bakery

Punitive damage verdict against Oberlin College “was like a seismic wave moving quickly through the courtroom”

When the punitive damage jury verdict was read in court yesterday in Gibson’s Bakery v. Oberlin College, it was like a seismic wave moving quickly through the courtroom.

It was that big, bigger than anyone had expected. The added punitive damages was $33,223,500, charged to Oberlin College. That was $33 million in damages added on to the $11.2 million they had already awarded the small business family and its owners as compensatory damages.

The Gibson family was there in full force — with four generations ranging from age 11 to age 90.

And surprisingly, the jury decided fairly quickly, with only about two hours of deliberation. Some theorized that the jury knew what they wanted to do on this immediately when they were sent to their deliberation room, but took some extra time because they wanted to finish their court-paid pizza lunch.

What was surprising in some regards was why the jury awarded such a high amount. The punitive damages law in Ohio requires “malice” to be at play with the defendants, meaning they had a “reckless disregard” for the truth. This was explained to the jury in great detail by the judge, and everyone in the courtroom was somewhat surprised that the jury came back with a verdict saying that, not only did Oberlin College libel and defame this small business and family, they did so in a manner that was intentional.

Most of the observers in the court were people who had known the Gibson family for generations, and had been to the long trial as many days as they could. One woman near had a quizzical look in her eyes and a big smile on her face, and said happily, “Did they just say that much money?”

The Gibson family was visibly shocked by the amount as well, as most in the courtroom were thinking the jury’s final punitive damages verdict in the case might top out at maybe $10 million. The fact that it was triple that amount means in many ways that perhaps the jury understood that the whole country was watching. The family hugged and cried a bit, and David Gibson joked to me that his hair had gone from slightly brownish-red to gray during this ordeal, and he was starting to get some of the old hair color back now that the jury verdicts had come down to exonerate his family’s reputation.

He gave me handshake, and then hugged his 11-year-old grandson, Cashlyn.

“We never wanted any of this to go to court and have to spend all this time in litigation,” David Gibson said exclusively to the Legal Insurrection. David Gibson is the lead plaintiff in the case and is the principal owner of the business.

“People have no idea on how much stress this has had on our family and business for almost three years. But from the beginning, we just didn’t understand why they were punishing us for something we had nothing to do with.”

“We appreciate that the jury understood what we had gone through, and I think they were saying to the entire country that we can’t allow this to happen to hard-working, small business people whose lives are defined by their business, their family, and their community,” he said.” What the college was doing was trying to take away all those things from us, and we fought hard against that.”

The final tally on punitive damages that Oberlin College was ordered to pay for by the jury is thus: $17,500,000 million for David Gibson, $8,750,000 for Allyn W. “Grandpa” Gibson, and $6,973,500 for the bakery business.

Allyn W. Gibson, age 90 and the patriarch of the business that has been in Oberlin since 1885, wanted to make sure people understood the Gibson family and business were not against students at Oberlin College in any way.

“I have been here my whole life and I love the students and the energy they bring to our community, and people who know me know I always love being with them,” he said. “Students can be great people or they can be bad, just like all of us can be, but they need guidance at the age, and they weren’t getting it when this all started.”
    Sack

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    this one is so obviously the right verdict that it seems silly to discuss it

but thats the problem with our b/w race relations right now. so many millions of blacks believe things that are absolute horseshit. im not saying everything they call out it wrong, but so many times they slap the racism label on something when it has absolutely nothing to do with racism and more to do with bad black beliefs and behavior

consider the short lived protests towards walmart and other stores for putting black hair care products in a locked case. WAY WAY too many black people immediately assume whites sat around a table and talked about ways they could fuck over black people, as if this was 1950. i recall one post in the comments section that went something like 'im a black man employed by walmart. managers will get fired if they show too much 'shrinkage', which means stealing. if black people wouldnt steal so often, those products wouldnt be locked in a cabinet.' of course hes absolutely right - and of course almost nobody listened to him speaking truth to power

as ive pointed out before, go into any ghetto liquor store in america and find where the hennessey is. its ALWAYS locked in a cabinet/cage or at least directly behind the cashiers desk. is it because the koreans who owned the store are flaming racists who strategize how to fuck their customers over? of course not. its bc if they dont use added protection for that product niggas will steal them blind. prices are high in ghetto stores as it is due to stealing of other things that steadily goes on

once again, its right out there for everybody to see, yet millions of blacks still think and act like this is 1950. racism will always exist, but whites are actually doing a pretty good job now of not being racist. blackness, otoh, still has a big problem with their own racism. but im happy to say it appears that blackness is finally opening their eyes and screams of racism at the drop of a hat are diminishing

this verdict will help slam dunk that issue nationwide, and force some blacks to look at their OWN bias and racism. black racism and the whites that enable it is our biggest racial problem today
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    consider the short lived protests towards walmart and other stores for putting black hair care products in a locked case. WAY WAY too many black people immediately assume whites sat around a table and talked about ways they could fuck over black people, as if this was 1950. i recall one post in the comments section that went something like 'im a black man employed by walmart. managers will get fired if they show too much 'shrinkage', which means stealing. if black people wouldnt steal so often, those products wouldnt be locked in a cabinet.' of course hes absolutely right - and of course almost nobody listened to him speaking truth to power

as ive pointed out before, go into any ghetto liquor store in america and find where the hennessey is. its ALWAYS locked in a cabinet/cage or at least directly behind the cashiers desk. is it because the koreans who owned the store are flaming racists who strategize how to fuck their customers over?
    Condoms too. The last time I had to buy some at CVS (many years ago as I've been "fixed" 8 years and past girlfriends were on the pill) they were all locked up and I needed someone to come and open the cabinet. I asked the guy, "Are these really stolen so much that they need to be in this glass display?" You know what he told me?

"Yup, and the Magnums are the number one stolen condom because apparently all the thieves think they have big ones."

I got a kick out of that. No mention of color was made and I just assumed it was dumb teenage kids at work. The fact is that whatever is stolen the most gets extra security measures whether it be in a cabinet or with one of those dumb tags strapped to it. Economics at work.
    Sack

4. Rock on:

Meathead (06-14-19)

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    Haha. I actually bought Magnums once to see how they felt with my wife. The girl at the cash register actually said ' Magnums huh' and gave me a little sideways grin. I was so shocked I just sorta mumbled out unhuh. She was pretty cute too so I had to look down because of course I was on the way home to screw my wife with them so I didn't fantasize about the cashier when I was doing it. Who am I kidding, I did anyway. Haha
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

6. Rock on:

SackMan518 (06-15-19)