Thread: The Intellectual Revolution That Made the Modern Western World

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

The Intellectual Revolution That Made the Modern Western World

Enlightenment values spurred political liberty and capitalism, but is this the end of the story?

More...

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    And then there are the people who THINK they're intellectual.

Sack

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SackMan518 View Post

I know that, as a rule, memes are never factually incorrect, but I'm going to have to disagree with Sack's meme. It seems to imply that the US single-handedly defeated the Nazis, which is far from true.

I think that most historians would point to the USSR as having contributed the most to the defeat of Nazi Germany. (Which made it all the more unseemly, by the way, that the Russians weren't invited to the VE celebrations again.) I would even say that the UK contribution was slightly greater than the American or on a par with it.

Also, had the bulk of the German army not been tied up in Russia and severely depleted there, especially after Stalingrad, it's very unlikely the Normandy invasion would have succeeded, especially not already in 1944.

Tя☭mp, when he thinks back on all the suckers he scammed throughout his life who either did business with him or who voted for him.

Fah Q

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Pigworth View Post
    I know that, as a rule, memes are never factually incorrect, but I'm going to have to disagree with Sack's meme. It seems to imply that the US single-handedly defeated the Nazis, which is far from true.

I think that most historians would point to the USSR as having contributed the most to the defeat of Nazi Germany. (Which made it all the more unseemly, by the way, that the Russians weren't invited to the VE celebrations again.) I would even say that the UK contribution was slightly greater than the American or on a par with it.

Also, had the bulk of the German army not been tied up in Russia and severely depleted there, especially after Stalingrad, it's very unlikely the Normandy invasion would have succeeded, especially not already in 1944.

Tя☭mp, when he thinks back on all the suckers he scammed throughout his life who either did business with him or who voted for him.

Dude, he’s replying to a bot...
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind,
    never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11