Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US-Mexico reach tariff deal aimed at stemming 'tide of migration,' Trump says

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

US-Mexico reach tariff deal aimed at stemming 'tide of migration,' Trump says

Key words here: both countries will revisit this agreement in 90 days to determine further action. Mexico better be serious about this agreement! We can't say for sure if this is a true win or not until we see the results of what happens now but it was disgusting that the President had to fight the illegal-loving-Democrats and Chamber of Commerce RINO rats to get something done. Next time maybe the GOP should back him from the get go instead of trying to throw up roadblocks on the tariffs and putting a wrench in the process. (That means you Cocaine Turtle Mitch.)

US-Mexico reach tariff deal aimed at stemming 'tide of migration,' Trump says

President Donald Trump tweeted on Friday that a "signed agreement" has been reached between the U.S. and Mexico on tariffs -- an accord aimed at stemming the "tide of migration."

"I am pleased to inform you that The United States of America has reached a signed agreement with Mexico," he tweeted. "The Tariffs scheduled to be implemented by the U.S. on Monday, against Mexico, are hereby indefinitely suspended. Mexico, in turn, has agreed to take strong measures to stem the tide of Migration through Mexico, and to our Southern Border. This is being done to greatly reduce, or eliminate, Illegal Immigration coming from Mexico and into the United States. Details of the agreement will be released shortly by the State Department. Thank you!"

Trump announced earlier this month that beginning on June 10, a 5% tariff would be imposed on all goods coming into the U.S. from Mexico "until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP."

However, as part of that deal, it appears the U.S. did not get Mexico to agree to a "safe third country" agreement where asylum seekers would be granted asylum in Mexico and unable to claim asylum in the U.S. Instead, the administration says it will expand its policy of deporting asylum seekers to Mexico to await adjudication of their cases. Mexico will accept those people and offer them services like health care and education.

That policy is currently being contested in federal court, although the Ninth Circuit ruled that the administration could implement as a final determination is reached.

In response, Mexico agreed to strengthen its border security -- a nod to the 6,000 Border Guard officers that nation announced Thursday -- and to take "decisive action to dismantle human smuggling and trafficking organizations as well as their illicit financial and transportation networks."

While Trump has repeatedly threatened to cut off development funds for Central America and the State Department moved to implement a cut in March -- but hasn’t fully followed through -- Friday's statement appeared to contradict that idea and noted the importance of those development dollars. While it doesn’t commit any new U.S. dollars to such efforts, it underscores that "both countries recognize the strong links between promoting development and economic growth in southern Mexico and the success of promoting prosperity, good governance and security in Central America."

The agreement will be revisited within 90 days and the two sides will announce further action before then as they continue conversations.

Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard called the tariff deal "fair."

"I think its a fair balance because they have more drastic measures and proposals at the start and we reached some middle point," Ebrard said.

Ebrard stressed that the Mexican government will demand migrants register and maintain a status while they are in the country. In addition, he said Mexico is "not a country just to pass from one side to the other anonymously."

"We demand that all people who cross Mexico have to register and they must be given a status. Mexico is a very generous country, we have given visas of very different types, temporary work permits," Ebrard said. "Secondly, let's be clear, we are not a country just to pass from one side to the other anonymously, because among other things that caused the tragedy of San Fernando. So our policy is that."

The announcement of a deal between the two nations came as Trump faced difficulties in moving forward with tariffs against Mexico. His own party offered a major roadblock.

"There is not much support in my conference for tariffs, that's for sure," Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said at a press conference following a lunch on Tuesday, where White House officials tried to make their case for tariffs to skeptical Republicans.

McConnell would not say how far he was willing to go to block the president.

Late Friday, McConnell tweeted, "I am glad President Trump has secured a commitment from the Mexican government to do more to secure their own borders and control the flow of people through their country. The security and humanitarian crisis on the southern border of the United States is unacceptable and Mexico has a crucial role to play as a responsible neighbor."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., sarcastically referred to the president's accomplishment to "greatly reduce, or eliminate, illegal immigration" as "an historic night."

"Now that that problem is solved, I’m sure we won’t be hearing any more about it in the future," Schumer said.

Top advisers, including Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, pushed back on the president's proposal to impose a 5% tariff on goods from Mexico, multiple White House sources told ABC News.
    Sack "The Buffalo Range's TRUSTED News Source!"

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell... We'll tell you any shit you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here."

- Howard Beale, Network

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    let me save you the worry: it's not a win. Its standard issue capitulation by fatass because he was going to get reamed by congressional Rs over the tariffs and he needed a distraction from the disastrous jobs numbers.

he is all hat and no cattle.

also demented.

3. Rock on:

HipKat (06-08-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    also, this yet another example of fatass manufacturing a crisis and then claiming credit when he "fixes" it. MAGATs are just so dumb, they swallow it hook line and sinker.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    This reminds me of a great line from ‘Top Gear’: This is a brilliant solution to a problem that should never of happened in the first place!

Well done job saving face by the POTUS

6. Rock on:

HipKat (06-08-19)

EMPEROR

Status

Groan
    it is indeed a win for the subhuman made of feces

mexico is stepping up in multiple ways to finally be responsible for what happens on their side of the border

and it was the threat of tariffs that got it done

nobody hates the piece of shit more than i do, but in this case being a flaming asshole had its benefits
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

8. Rock on:

SackMan518 (06-08-19)

Fah Q

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    it is indeed a win for the subhuman made of feces

mexico is stepping up in multiple ways to finally be responsible for what happens on their side of the border

and it was the threat of tariffs that got it done

nobody hates the piece of shit more than i do, but in this case being a flaming asshole had its benefits
    If you think that NOC allowing people to escape one of the worst places to live so they can have a better life is it a benefit then, yeah I guess being an asshole does have its benefits
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Mexico is doing jack shit to change anything substantively because they knew his tariff threat was empty:

Senate Republicans Warn White House Against Mexico Tariffs

they just threw him a few crumbs and the declaration said the two countries would continue talking about other steps that could be announced within 90 days.

lol other steps that could be announced.

or not announced when everyone is chasing some other shiny fatass object.

cant believe meat is falling for this scam.

11. Rock on:

direbills (06-08-19)

EMPEROR

Status

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    If you think that NOC allowing people to escape one of the worst places to live so they can have a better life is it a benefit then, yeah I guess being an asshole does have its benefits
    idk what NOC is, but america simply cannot absorb the millions and millions of ppl that come from shithole countries that have dramatically lower standards of peace enforcement than the US does

of course i very much want disadvantaged people to have better lives, but if we just open the doors to all the people really suffering at the hands of assholes ruining their country, they would pour in here and overwhelm our societies ability to take care of them. its just flatly unrealistic to expect us to be able to absorb all the downtrodden people from mexico and s. america

if countries south of here were all like canada, who has a standard of living and peace enforcement similar to america, then yeah, lets make it easy for places with mostly good, law abiding people to come here if they want. thats just not at all the place we are at right now

so if they want to come here they should follow the standard protocols and process so that we are at least making an effort to vet them as individuals that would contribute instead of just take, or worse, commit crimes and hurt people

considering all the craziness that goes on south of this country, there really is no other choice

EMPEROR

Status

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by 212frawk View Post
    Mexico is doing jack shit to change anything substantively because they knew his tariff threat was empty:

Senate Republicans Warn White House Against Mexico Tariffs

they just threw him a few crumbs and the declaration said the two countries would continue talking about other steps that could be announced within 90 days.

lol other steps that could be announced.

or not announced when everyone is chasing some other shiny fatass object.

cant believe meat is falling for this scam.
    just based on what ive read, it doesnt look that way to me. it looks like mexico is really stepping up and taking responsibility for their side of the border - something they should have been doing all along

i can only base my perspective on what i read, and granted our media is a broken click based piece of crap. but as always, i have read a number of different sources and they all appear to be telling the same story, that mexico is putting a process in place to vet the people migrating north, arresting those that deserve it, slowing the flow of people heading to the boarder, and continuing to check their status even when they make it there

i would LOVE to instantly transport all the good people who are suffering at the hands of their gubmint, or the cartels, or whatever other motherfucker assholes making their lives miserable. but if i did that, america would be overwhelmed and a lot of our support system would crash

there absolutely HAS to be a process to be followed to allow people to come and stay here as contributing members of our society. sure, trump created this crisis by making such a big deal that people started flooding our border in the hopes that there would be a breakthrough. meanwhile, mexico stood by and did virtually nothing to help us stem that tide, and worse, prevent bad people from coming, too

i hate that immoral turd president as much as anybody, but in this case he got mexico off its ass and for that i have to give him props

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    just based on what ive read, it doesnt look that way to me. it looks like mexico is really stepping up and taking responsibility for their side of the border - something they should have been doing all along

i can only base my perspective on what i read, and granted our media is a broken click based piece of crap. but as always, i have read a number of different sources and they all appear to be telling the same story, that mexico is putting a process in place to vet the people migrating north, arresting those that deserve it, slowing the flow of people heading to the boarder, and continuing to check their status even when they make it there

i would LOVE to instantly transport all the good people who are suffering at the hands of their gubmint, or the cartels, or whatever other motherfucker assholes making their lives miserable. but if i did that, america would be overwhelmed and a lot of our support system would crash

there absolutely HAS to be a process to be followed to allow people to come and stay here as contributing members of our society. sure, trump created this crisis by making such a big deal that people started flooding our border in the hopes that there would be a breakthrough. meanwhile, mexico stood by and did virtually nothing to help us stem that tide, and worse, prevent bad people from coming, too

i hate that immoral turd president as much as anybody, but in this case he got mexico off its ass and for that i have to give him props
    it has to be a success when fatass bluffs his way into a corner and then backs off the threat at the last minute because his own party let mexico know the tariffs wouldnt stand and let's not forget that stuff that could get announced in the next 90 days.

so given this resounding success story, I bet we never hear aaaanything more from fatass about the border cause you know, its now fixt.