Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama’s spying scandal is starting to look a lot like Watergate

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

Obama’s spying scandal is starting to look a lot like Watergate

Looking like? No, this is far FAR worse than Watergate ever was considering the cooperation between various alphabet agencies both foreign and domestic. This Pandora's Box is open now and there's no sweeping it under the rug because these people are utterly fucked.

Obama’s spying scandal is starting to look a lot like Watergate

“F.B.I. Used Informant to Investigate Russia Ties to Campaign, Not to Spy, as Trump Claims,” read the headline on a lengthy New York Times story May 18. “The Justice Department used a suspected informant to probe whether Trump campaign aides were making improper contacts with Russia in 2016,” read a story in the May 21 edition of the Wall Street Journal.

So much for those who dismissed charges of Obama administration infiltration of Donald Trump’s campaign as paranoid fantasy. Defenders of the Obama intelligence and law enforcement apparat have had to fall back on the argument that this infiltration was for Trump’s — and the nation’s — own good.

It’s an argument that evidently didn’t occur to Richard Nixon’s defenders when it became clear that Nixon operatives had burglarized and wiretapped the Democratic National Committee’s headquarters in June 1972.

Until 2016, just about everyone agreed that it was a bad thing for government intelligence or law enforcement agencies to spy — er, use informants — on a political campaign, especially one of the opposition party. Liberals were especially suspicious of the FBI and the CIA. Nowadays they say that anyone questioning their good faith is unpatriotic.

The crime at the root of Watergate was an attempt at surveillance of the DNC after George McGovern seemed about to win the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination, just as the government misconduct in Russiagate was an attempt at surveillance of the Republican Party’s national campaign after Trump clinched its nomination.

In both cases, the incumbent administration regarded the opposition’s unorthodox nominee as undermining the nation’s long-standing foreign policy and therefore dangerous to the country. McGovern renounced the Democrats’ traditional Cold War policy. Trump expressed skepticism about George W. Bush and Obama administration policies on NATO, Mexico, Iran and (forgetting Barack Obama’s ridicule of Mitt Romney on the subject) Russia.

The incumbents’ qualms had some rational basis. But their attempts at surveillance were misbegotten. Back in 1972, my brief experience in campaigns left me skeptical that you could learn anything useful by wiretapping the opposition. If you were reasonably smart, you should be able to figure out what a reasonably smart opposition would do and respond accordingly. Subsequent experience has confirmed that view. It’s a different story if you face irrational opposition. It’s hard to figure out what stupid people are going to do.

Similarly, it’s hard to figure out what the Obama law enforcement and intelligence folks had to gain by spying. Candidate Trump’s bizarre refusals to criticize Vladimir Putin and Russia were already a political liability, criticized aptly and often by Hillary Clinton and mainstream media.

But neither the Obama informant/spy nor Robert Mueller’s investigation has presented additional evidence of Trump collusion with Russia. None of Mueller’s indictments points in that direction, and Trump’s foreign policy over 16 months has been far less favorable to Russia than Obama’s.

Both the Watergate wiretap and the Obama appointees’ investigator/spy infiltration were initially inspired amid fears that the upstart opposition might win. The Watergate burglary was planned when Nixon’s re-election was far from assured. A May 1972 Harris Poll showed him with only 48 percent against McGovern. It was only after the Haiphong harbor bombing and Moscow summit in early June made clear that US involvement in Vietnam was ending that Nixon’s numbers surged — just before the June 17 burglary.

In March 2016, it was conventional wisdom that Trump couldn’t be elected president. But his surprising and persistent strength in the Republican primaries left some doubtful, including the FBI lovebirds who instant messaged their desire for an “insurance policy” against that dreaded eventuality.

Their unease may have owed something to their knowledge of how the Obama Justice Department and FBI had fixed the Hillary Clinton emails case. Clinton wasn’t indicted but was left with a disastrously low 32 percent of voters confident of her honesty and trustworthiness.

There are two obvious differences between Watergate and the Obama administration’s infiltration. The Watergate burglars were arrested in flagrante delicto, and their wiretaps never functioned. And neither the FBI nor the CIA fully cooperated with the post-election cover-up.

That’s quite a contrast with the Obama law enforcement and intelligence appointees’ promotion of Christopher Steele’s Clinton campaign-financed dodgy dossier and feeding the mainstream media’s insatiable hunger for Russia collusion stories.

Has an outgoing administration ever worked to delegitimize and dislodge its successor like this? We hear many complaints, some justified, about Donald Trump’s departure from standard political norms. But the greater and more dangerous departure from norms may be that of the Obama officials seeking to overturn the results of the 2016 election.
    Sack

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    this thread needs some vagineck on golden wings!

3. Rock on:

HipKat (05-04-19),sportsgal88 (05-05-19)

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    hahahahahahahahahahhhahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

this is why you get so much crap on here

republicans are the masters at turning nothing into a weapon, but even they wont get this off the ground

spying. hahahahahahahahahahaaa
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

5. Rock on:

HipKat (05-04-19)

Fah Q

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahhhahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

this is why you get so much crap on here

republicans are the masters at turning nothing into a weapon, but even they wont get this off the ground

spying. hahahahahahahahahahaaa
    This is EXACTLY why I give him so much shit, but he's too stupid to get it
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    the russians used the most sophisticated data engineering tools ever invented to influence elections, they ACTUALLY SUCCEEDED in giving the election to their stooge (along with hillarys cheating and fucking retarded 'deplorables' comment), and when our intelligence community properly looked into it, the soulless republicans turn it into a weapon by selling it as "spying"

i dont give a fuck about political parties, but i would be furious if they DIDNT look into the real and confirmable russian connection with the don campaign

i like you sack, but this 'stupid people' pablum is below you. stop carrying propaganda water and fight for whats right ... err, correct
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

8. Rock on:

HipKat (05-05-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    i like you sack, but this 'stupid people' pablum is below you.
    No it is not, it is perfectly on-brand for him. he is a delusional MAGAt through and through.

Imagine living in a world where you think

* the FBI came out weeks before the election to have a press conference to discuss how awful HRC was while they were investigating the fatass campaign for being a suspected conspirator with the russians(!!!!) AND SAY NOTHING ABOUT IT PUBLICLY BEFORE THE ELECTION *

this was how the FBI sabotaged fatass.

it's the very definition of delusional.

10. Rock on:

HipKat (05-05-19),sportsgal88 (05-05-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    the russians used the most sophisticated data engineering tools ever invented to influence elections, they ACTUALLY SUCCEEDED in giving the election to their stooge (along with hillarys cheating and fucking retarded 'deplorables' comment), and when our intelligence community properly looked into it, the soulless republicans turn it into a weapon by selling it as "spying"
    None of that is true Meat and I can't believe you are actually still buying this "Russia Gate" tin foil hat shit. How can you even believe that after all that's come to light these past 2 years? Are you even paying attention? As for Republicans vs Democrats and spying, well, they're both in on it. Dubya Bush pushed it through (Patriot Act written partly by Biden) and Obama, who promised to stop it, expanded on the powers eventually abusing them for the 2016 election which is completely unacceptable. That's not where it began though and only became codified in law recently legitimizing what they'd been doing for decades. The Russia angle was always a total joke to me. There's no way they could influence an election through Facebook with most of the MSM pushing Hillary, most of the polls claiming she was a shoo-in, and having rigged a primary for herself by taking over the DNC. To believe the Russians somehow overcame all of that through some advertisements is pure insanity and I expect better from you in the future.

In the end my prediction is that the higher ups like Obama will walk on it while claiming that the lower actors went rogue which will only lead to prosecutions of people like Strzok, Ohr, and others in some cushy federal prison. (For a peek into that Google Susan Rice's e-mail claiming Obama wanted everything done "by the book" which was just setting him up to claim ignorance about the shady shit that happened to Trump.)
    Sack

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    aaaaand the delusion continues unabated.

13. Rock on:

HipKat (05-05-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SackMan518 View Post
    None of that is true Meat and I can't believe you are actually still buying this "Russia Gate" tin foil hat shit.
    here's a link to a searchable version of Part I of the Mueller Report.

Part I

We'll standby waiting for your point by point refutation of the results of the investigation

15. Rock on:

HipKat (05-05-19)

Fah Q

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SackMan518 View Post
    None of that is true Meat and I can't believe you are actually still buying this "Russia Gate" tin foil hat shit. How can you even believe that after all that's come to light these past 2 years? Are you even paying attention? As for Republicans vs Democrats and spying, well, they're both in on it. Dubya Bush pushed it through (Patriot Act written partly by Biden) and Obama, who promised to stop it, expanded on the powers eventually abusing them for the 2016 election which is completely unacceptable. That's not where it began though and only became codified in law recently legitimizing what they'd been doing for decades. The Russia angle was always a total joke to me. There's no way they could influence an election through Facebook with most of the MSM pushing Hillary, most of the polls claiming she was a shoo-in, and having rigged a primary for herself by taking over the DNC. To believe the Russians somehow overcame all of that through some advertisements is pure insanity and I expect better from you in the future.

In the end my prediction is that the higher ups like Obama will walk on it while claiming that the lower actors went rogue which will only lead to prosecutions of people like Strzok, Ohr, and others in some cushy federal prison. (For a peek into that Google Susan Rice's e-mail claiming Obama wanted everything done "by the book" which was just setting him up to claim ignorance about the shady shit that happened to Trump.)
    You are fucking hopeless. The truth is right in front of your eyes and you refuse to look at it. What the fuck is it about Trump that you have to be so goddamn committed to him?
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

17. Rock on:

sportsgal88 (05-05-19)