Thread: How they got here: Impatience, attempts at quick fixes haunt Sabres

Groan
    Groans: 0

How they got here: Impatience, attempts at quick fixes haunt Sabres

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/03/b...egula-nhl-news

Jason Botterill was consumed by disappointment hours after he delivered the news to Phil Housley that the Buffalo Sabres would be making a coaching change.

The 21-minute news conference that followed was Botterill's first admission of failure in less than two years as general manager. In addition to firing his first coach, Botterill acknowledged his roster did not have enough skilled forwards or territorial defensemen.

More important, the decision to fire a coach after only 22 months deviated from Botterill's organizational strategy. He always planned to remain patient with a roster that needed to be rebuilt, a first-time coach and an organization lacking a winning culture.

"Buffalo is a great hockey market and has a passionate fan base," said Craig Button, an analyst for TSN and former NHL general manager, during a phone interview with The Buffalo News. "I understand why people are upset and anxious. ... You have to articulate [the need for patience] and have the strength and courage to follow it. When your team is good and strong then the fans are on board. That's what I call organizational courage."

Botterill acted after he sensed progress stalled. Though he shouldered responsibility, the fundamental flaws that led to an NHL-worst eight-season playoff drought can be traced back to more than a decade's worth of poor drafting by his predecessors, mishandled player development, and failed attempts at quick fixes through irresponsible free-agent signings and trades.

The Sabres winning the fewest games in the NHL since the start of the 2012-13 season is not the fault of one coach, general manager, player or ownership group.
    “There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    I’ll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    So depressing.

I've always wondered what would happen if you never traded anyone away and just kept the talent you had drafted.

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by scotsho View Post
    So depressing.

I've always wondered what would happen if you never traded anyone away and just kept the talent you had drafted.
    I know. I've sat here, thinking back to the days when we began trading away our talent, like Gaustad, Foligno, Miller, etc and how it's just been a shit show since. The article says one thing wrong - that Buffalo has always had a culture of losing. Not true! This was a competitive Franchise from Day 1 until Darcy started tearing it apart. The article just made me remember why and how much I hated him

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Groan
    It's all been downhill since the Drury/Briere debacle. I hate to keep bringing it up, but that shit has scarred most and I believe I suffer from PTSD because of it.
    Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own..

5. Rock on:

HipKat (05-10-19),LVBillsfan (05-09-19),SabreBill30 (05-09-19)

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by charbs View Post
    It's all been downhill since the Drury/Briere debacle. I hate to keep bringing it up, but that shit has scarred most and I believe I suffer from PTSD because of it.
    No doubt!! How do you let a Stanley Cup finalist dismantle itself?

Seek help. soflabillsfan

7. Rock on:

charbs (05-13-19),SabreBill30 (05-11-19)