Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do the Bills like Noah Fant more than TJ Hockenson?

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

Why do the Bills like Noah Fant more than TJ Hockenson?

Over the last 2 months, the Bills have not been linked to Hockenson. No Pre-Draft Visit. No Private Workout in Iowa. No Combine meeting.

On the other hand the Bills did a Private Workout AND a Pre-Draft Visit with Noah Fant.

If you believe in elaborate smoke screens the Bills did all this to hide their interest in TJ Hockenson?

Or, the Bills do prefer Noah Fant. Maybe they don't want to draft a TE at 9 and think if they trade back from 9, there is a better chance that Noah Fant is available after a trade down.

Or, they saw him run a 4.5 forty at the combine and then knock out a 6.81 three cone time and decided they want a Tight End that can split out and be a WR.

Thoughts? (If you think the Bills like TJ Hockenson more than Noah Fant can you point to any evidence that supports that...)

< UPDATE: After some research I can not find a single notification of TJ Hockenson meeting with any team....There is a theory that his agent worked to keep all Pre-Draft Visits a secret. SO, the Bills may have met with him. If so, he is back on my list of Possible Picks >

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    I've said this all off season, if it has to be one or the other Fant fits better with Allen. He stretches the field, he's a big target, and he's explosive.

I hate highlight videos when trying to get a feel for what a guy does, but if you compare their highlight videos side by side, you see 2 drastically different styles. I'm also an Iowa fan and watch almost every game, so I've seen both game by game, but literally their highlight videos are night and day when it comes to what they do in the passing game.

Fant gets up the field, he beats defenders, and he runs away from guys. There aren't a ton of catches where he's an outlet guy, or where plays are designed to get him to soft spots underneath. There's a couple bubble screens and this is more or less a testament to how good of an athlete he is.

Watch Hock's highlights. It's a lot of drag routes against the grain, a lot of play action getting defenders out of place and he's great at finding the soft spot in a defense for first downs. He is a good athelete and more physical runner, but there's not a ton of plays where Hock is getting downfield or owning guys with amazing routes to get separation (his routes are solid, this is not a negative per se), but a lot of it was (really good) design to get him in spots to make plays. A lot of stuff to get the defense looking in the wrong spot and a lot of this had to do with he played with a guy (Fant) who was dynamite who drew a ton of coverage.

I'm also on board with landing both. Hock is a great blocker, he can play H-Back, he can do a lot of things to help an offense. Fant can line up in all over as well, and is an instant mismatch for most defenders. They are the perfect compliment.

Now based on what Beane has done, IMO we still need a guy who can be a playmaker create mismatches.

He's brought in guys who can work underneath and bail out Allen on outlets, we have a handful now, Beasley, Zay, Kroft, Shady and Yeldon.

We've got Foster and Brown to stretch defenses.

There should be enough weapons to keep any defense honest, what we don't have as of today is a dynamic TE. A guy who is a pure mismatch anywhere in offense, at any spot. Fant can be that guy.

I said it over at BZ, IMO there's a real chance Hock is Heath Miller. Yes Heath Miller was good, that's as solid as solid gets at TE, 60 catches and 5 TD's a year. However Fant has a lot of Travis Kelce in his game. Potentially an 80 catch, 1,000 yard guy each and every year.

3. Rock on:

bcw (04-22-19),Crazy Legs (04-22-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beef View Post
    I've said this all off season, if it has to be one or the other Fant fits better with Allen. He stretches the field, he's a big target, and he's explosive.

I hate highlight videos when trying to get a feel for what a guy does, but if you compare their highlight videos side by side, you see 2 drastically different styles. I'm also an Iowa fan and watch almost every game, so I've seen both game by game, but literally their highlight videos are night and day when it comes to what they do in the passing game.

Fant gets up the field, he beats defenders, and he runs away from guys. There aren't a ton of catches where he's an outlet guy, or where plays are designed to get him to soft spots underneath. There's a couple bubble screens and this is more or less a testament to how good of an athlete he is.

Watch Hock's highlights. It's a lot of drag routes against the grain, a lot of play action getting defenders out of place and he's great at finding the soft spot in a defense for first downs. He is a good athelete and more physical runner, but there's not a ton of plays where Hock is getting downfield or owning guys with amazing routes to get separation (his routes are solid, this is not a negative per se), but a lot of it was (really good) design to get him in spots to make plays. A lot of stuff to get the defense looking in the wrong spot and a lot of this had to do with he played with a guy (Fant) who was dynamite who drew a ton of coverage.

I'm also on board with landing both. Hock is a great blocker, he can play H-Back, he can do a lot of things to help an offense. Fant can line up in all over as well, and is an instant mismatch for most defenders. They are the perfect compliment.

Now based on what Beane has done, IMO we still need a guy who can be a playmaker create mismatches.

He's brought in guys who can work underneath and bail out Allen on outlets, we have a handful now, Beasley, Zay, Kroft, Shady and Yeldon.

We've got Foster and Brown to stretch defenses.

There should be enough weapons to keep any defense honest, what we don't have as of today is a dynamic TE. A guy who is a pure mismatch anywhere in offense, at any spot. Fant can be that guy.

I said it over at BZ, IMO there's a real chance Hock is Heath Miller. Yes Heath Miller was good, that's as solid as solid gets at TE, 60 catches and 5 TD's a year. However Fant has a lot of Travis Kelce in his game. Potentially an 80 catch, 1,000 yard guy each and every year.
    I said this the other day. I think the Dynamo is what they are looking for and Fant is that. Hock is a more polished and complete TE but Fant is way more explosive.

waffle=pancake syrup trap

Status
    Groan
    Buffalo could like both Fant and Hockenson but want to throw misdirection so no other teams think they like Hockenson.

Beane doesn't have to be overt and have a Private Workout AND a Pre-Draft Visit with Hockenson to show all the other GM's what he is thinking and how he values Hockenson.
    L*t is a losser

6. Rock on:

CBennett (04-22-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    As Beef said, maybe the Bills brass doesn't view Hockenson as a gamechanging TE. And if you're considering that position at 9, he has to be a game changer

Resident Pessimist

Status
    Groan
    I’d be fucking shocked out of my skull if the bills picked either. Absolutely shocked. Fucking excited as hell and pumped but flabbergasted all the same.

Orinally Posted by seandelevan
    A Bills fan could have gone into a coma in 2000, just woke up, and be shocked that he had not missed a thing!!! HAHAHAHA

I nominate this post of the month, maybe more. Seriously, seriously it encapsulates everything of importance in one sentence. An indie film maker could possibly do well with that concept. -StraightJ 10/7/12

Originally Posted by bad radio
    If by "best" you mean "most grumpy and dickish," then yes, happy birthday.

jc856-“if you’re good you suck, if you’re bad you suck, if you suck you suck, if you don’t suck,....guess what....you suck”

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Cant teach 4.5 speed. I'm not surprised.

Range Member

Status

Groan
    The only reason I can think of is that you know what you get with Hock, a physical te who can find a mismatch and pick up your 1st downs.

With Fant they know what he can do on the passing game but Beane might have wanted to bring him in for a work out to see if he will be able to handle blocking in the nfl.

11. Rock on:

Crazy Legs (04-22-19),junglesouljah (04-22-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by junglesouljah View Post
    Buffalo could like both Fant and Hockenson but want to throw misdirection so no other teams think they like Hockenson.

Beane doesn't have to be overt and have a Private Workout AND a Pre-Draft Visit with Hockenson to show all the other GM's what he is thinking and how he values Hockenson.
    This could be very true as well.

They could've met with him at the combine, liked what they heard, loved the tape and combine performance and decided to spend time elsewhere because he might be the guy at 9 if available or might be in play on a trade down.

Fant would seem more likely in a trade down or in a move to get back into the first or early second if he slides.

Either would be a fantastic addition, but Fant is really the guy that could turn into Josh's favorite target.

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beef View Post

Watch Hock's highlights. It's a lot of drag routes against the grain, a lot of play action getting defenders out of place and he's great at finding the soft spot in a defense for first downs. He is a good athelete and more physical runner, but there's not a ton of plays where Hock is getting downfield or owning guys with amazing routes to get separation (his routes are solid, this is not a negative per se), but a lot of it was (really good) design to get him in spots to make plays.

Great points. I did look at the highlights, and you are right. Hock is open on drags. Noah Fant is more of big wide receiver. Blowing by guys, especially YAC. Fant runs 4.5. A lot of good Wide Receivers run that.

IF Noah Fant is used right and plays up to his potential, he could be a very valuable weapon for Josh.