Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do TEs taken early in the draft become Elite players? TJ Hockenson at 9?

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

How often do TEs taken early in the draft become Elite players? TJ Hockenson at 9?

How often do TEs taken in the first or second round become elite NFL players?
    1 or more TDs every 3 games would be considered Elite

AP1 = All Pro
    PB = Pro Bowl
    CarAV = Avg catches per year in career

Player________AP1____PB CarAV AV/yr G Rec/g TD/g
    Rob Gronkowski__ 3__ 4__ 56 8.0 88 4.6__ 0.78
    Zach Ertz_________ 0__ 0__ 21 5.3 61 4.0__ 0.21
    Greg Olsen_______ 0__ 3__ 54 5.4 158 3.9__ 0.33
    Dustin Keller_______0__ 0__ 22 4.4 72 3.3__ 0.24
    Eric Ebron_________0__ 0__ 12 4.0 40 3.3__ 0.20
    Tyler Eifert_______ 0__ 1__ 12 3.0 37 3.3__ 0.54
    Kyle Rudolph______ 0__ 1__ 22__ 3.7 80 3.3__ 0.36
    Brandon Pettigrew__ 0__ 0__ 22 3.1 93 3.2__ 0.18
    Jermaine Gresham__ 0__ 2__ 26 3.7 105 3.2__ 0.26
    Coby Fleener______ 0 0 23 4.6 76 3.1__ 0.28
    Martellus Bennett___ 0 1 33 3.7 135 3.0__ 0.22
    Zach Miller_______ 0 1 29 3.6 110 3.0__ 0.18
    Jace Amaro______ 0 0 4 1.3 17 2.4__ 0.12
    Hunter Henry__ 0 0 4 4.0 15 2.4__ 0.53
    John Carlson 0 0 16 2.3 90 2.3__ 0.17
    Fred Davis 0 0 14 2.3 72 2.3__ 0.18
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins 0 0 6 2.0 25 2.2__ 0.28
    Lance Kendricks 0 0 13 2.2 93 2.2__ 0.18
    Maxx Williams 0 0 2 1.0 18 1.8__ 0.06
    Devin Funchess 0 0 8 4.0 31 1.7__ 0.29
    Vance McDonald 0 0 6 1.5 48 1.3__ 0.15
    Gavin Escobar 0 0 2 0.5 62 0.5__ 0.13
    Troy Niklas 0 0 0 0.0 26 0.3__ 0.08
    Richard Quinn 0 0 0 0.0 30 0.0__ 0.00

So that’s a 21% chance of finding an elite TE in the first or second round.

waffle=pancake syrup trap

Status
    Groan
    TJ Hockenson has the potential of being a Rob Gronkowski or Jason Witten. He is a complete TE that can play the traditional in-line blocking role and used on play action passes, but can also be a new school TE lined up in the slot or flexed out wide as a WR to get a match up versus a linebacker or safety.

At 9th overall I want Buffalo to get an impact player like TJ Hockenson or Ed Oliver.
    L*t is a losser

3. Rock on:

sportsgal88 (04-20-19),Sucked In Again (04-17-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    The closer the draft gets, the more I really want Hockenson to be the pick. Think about it...just about every good team in recent memory has had a solid TE as the qb’s safety valve. Brady-Gronkowski, Ben-Heath Miller, Cam-Olsen, Rivers-Gates, etc. We can get a solid defender in the second round or bottom half of the first, but I don’t know if we can get a difference making TE beyond Hock, Fant, or Irv Smith. And Hock is by far the most complete, prototype TE this year.

Resident Pessimist

Status
    Groan
    Who gives a flying FUCK if the dude doesn’t go to the hall of fame? Can he catch? Yes...can he score points? Yes..Can he improve our shitty offense? Yes.....Can he help Josh Allen..YES.

What’s the odds of the 9th player picked, of any position, becoming All Pro? Some people are acting like we are picking TE with the first overall pick. Forward minded “experts” are all saying Hockenson should be picked around 8-10.

But the Bills are not...they are scared to be mocked at...they’ll play it safe...because that’s what they do.

Orinally Posted by seandelevan
    A Bills fan could have gone into a coma in 2000, just woke up, and be shocked that he had not missed a thing!!! HAHAHAHA

I nominate this post of the month, maybe more. Seriously, seriously it encapsulates everything of importance in one sentence. An indie film maker could possibly do well with that concept. -StraightJ 10/7/12

Originally Posted by bad radio
    If by "best" you mean "most grumpy and dickish," then yes, happy birthday.

jc856-“if you’re good you suck, if you’re bad you suck, if you suck you suck, if you don’t suck,....guess what....you suck”

6. Rock on:

ddpderek (04-18-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    I’ve been wanting a TE for so long, I remember praying Buffalo would take Jason Witten.

That’s where I’m at on out TE situation.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by seandelevan View Post
    Who gives a flying FUCK if the dude doesn’t go to the hall of fame? Can he catch? Yes...can he score points? Yes..Can he improve our shitty offense? Yes.....Can he help Josh Allen..YES.

What’s the odds of the 9th player picked, of any position, becoming All Pro? Some people are acting like we are picking TE with the first overall pick. Forward minded “experts” are all saying Hockenson should be picked around 8-10.

But the Bills are not...they are scared to be mocked at...they’ll play it safe...because that’s what they do.
    “Can he improve our shitty offense?”

That’s the ONLY question Beane and McDermott should be asking themselves right now!!!

This offense needs more playmakers around Josh Allen.

They went all out for OL in free agency.

People are already worrying about the DE position NEXT YEAR when we have no reason to not pick up Shaq’s option and then we got him for another 2 years with the franchise tag if we want it. We’re also getting a healthy Trent Murphy back to help out.

WR can be taken care of in mid rounds.

And the 3 DTs atop the depth chart should make us feel comfortable.

The only thing I’m not comfortable with right now: Tyler Kroft and Jason Croom

9. Rock on:

seandelevan (04-17-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by robreg2 View Post
    “Can he improve our shitty offense?”

That’s the ONLY question Beane and McDermott should be asking themselves right now!!!

This offense needs more playmakers around Josh Allen.

They went all out for OL in free agency.

People are already worrying about the DE position NEXT YEAR when we have no reason to not pick up Shaq’s option and then we got him for another 2 years with the franchise tag if we want it. We’re also getting a healthy Trent Murphy back to help out.

WR can be taken care of in mid rounds.

And the 3 DTs atop the depth chart should make us feel comfortable.

The only thing I’m not comfortable with right now: Tyler Kroft and Jason Croom
    Good post. Listen...Hock is a complete TE. He can catch, block, and is a prototype. By getting him, we would have our big target over the middle for Allen to fall back on. We could get someone like Wilkins or Lawrence at the back of the first round if they slip. Beane has said that he would move up to get a guy that slips.

11. Rock on:

seandelevan (04-17-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Ive been watching all of KC games from last year and man what a difference a Kelce makes on that team. Between Kelce and Hill (WR) they bailed out Mahomes more than a lot of people realize.

13. Rock on:

seandelevan (04-17-19)

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    the bust potential is so freaking high for TEs that i really dont want to risk wasting a 9th pick when this might be the last time in a long time they will have a pick that high

give me a much less likely to bust OT or DL that can anchor a position for 10+ years
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have wanted Hockenson to be the pick for some time now. He'd be the perfect compliment to what we've done in FA (smaller, speedy WR).
    This said, I'm resigned to the fact we'll go DT and DE in rounds 1 & 2 with TE, a big WR, and a RB after thoughts until the later rounds.
    MY FOUR FAVORITE TEAMS:
    1) THE BLUE JAYS 2) THE BILLS
    3) WHOEVER IS PLAYING THE RED SOX
    4) WHOEVER IS PLAYING THE PACHEATIOTS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetsy
    Imagine, Patsie fans thinking something was amiss in A super Bowl. I bet they thought they had a monopoly on cheating. LOL