Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This Team Makes Me Sick

Groan
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan186 View Post
    I am in full agreement that once you are eliminated from the playoff's it is about player development rather than winning games. Expectations were high after the 10 game streak but anyone who expected a team to go from worst to make the playoff's has too high of expectations.
    The team has some talent, and it can play against the top teams and win some. However, the problem the Sabres have is not exactly a lack of talent but the inability to play 60 minutes at a high level as well as play physical.
    Bogosian, Risto, Larson and Girgenson play somewhat physical...but not all the time. During the Sabres 10 game win streak they were banging against the boards and finishing checks. With the Sabres having just one line of great talent, and then 3 lines of guys who need development, past there prime or bubble players....you need to play at a high intensity for 60 minutes.

The reason they are losing is because they are not putting in the effort and they do not have the talent on the 2nd and 3rd lines to carry them. They need to sprinkle in some physical players with there talent to round this team out. Maybe Borgen can be a piece to bringing team toughness back.

Agree that Sobotka, Scandella and Hunwick are not good enough to play at the NHL level anymore...trade them or send them to Rochester
    I don't expect them, to go from worst to Stanley Cup Finals, but I also didn't expect them to go from best to absolute shit in 2 months, either. I figured they'd be fighting for the 8th spot right now. Guess I was wrong
    ďThere he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.Ē

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    Iíll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by foster View Post
    When you have the likes of Sobotka, Scandella playing a prominent role on your hockey club, you are behind in the talent curve.

When it comes to 2020, here's my Stay/Go list for the current roster. (This is done with no respect to contracts/RFA/FA status).

Stay:
    Forwards:

Eichel
    Skinner
    Reinhart
    Thompson
    Mittelstadt

Defense:
    Dahlin
    Montour
    Pilut
    Risto
    Nelson (Best +/- on the team)

Go away:

Forwards:
    Sobotka
    Wilson

Defense:
    Scandella
    Hunwick

Indifferent: (Could play a role, but not their current role)
    Evan Rodrigues
    Sheary
    Okposo
    Girgensons
    Larsson
    Pominville (Very solid season so far for a vet: 28pts, -4 .. but shouldn't be expected to be continuously playing in the top 6

McCabe
    Bogosian

I could entertain a 4th line of Girgenson's Larsson (Wilson/Pominville) and believe we need at least 3 from Rochester + another solid F via Free Agency/Trade.
    I say keep Rodriguez. That kid is all out hustle every shift. I love watching him play. He's the one shining light on the team. Gotta keep Pomms, too, just for the Veteran inoput
    ďThere he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
    A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
    Too weird to live, and too rare to die.Ē

Twitter: @HKTheResistance

HipKat, on *** other h***, is genuine, unapoli***tically nasty, and w**** his hea** on his ******. jc856
    Iíll just forward them to Bridgett. comssvet11
    Seek help. soflabillsfan

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    I don't expect them, to go from worst to Stanley Cup Finals, but I also didn't expect them to go from best to absolute shit in 2 months, either. I figured they'd be fighting for the 8th spot right now. Guess I was wrong
    It was a fluke they were in first place. The old Addage...applies "They are not as good nor as bad as you think" applies.

They made progress this year form last place to 26th. They moved up 4 places and in reality should of finished 20th if they didn't tank at the end to better their draft position. aka they tinkered with lines and brought in AHL players to see what they got.

I was expecting them to just miss the playoff's this year. They held my expectations till January, and then the bottom fell out. Was it the coach? Was it the time of the season? (Teams start to play harder making a push and the young sabres didn't have it for the home stretch)

Personally, this team lacks an identity. They are in-between being able to beat teams with pure talent, and being a gritty "going to out work you every night and check the crap out of anyone with the puck".

They gambled on Mitts being ready to be a 2nd line center. They hedged their bets with Sovbtka and came up really short. Goaltending was much better but still not great, the D was actually fairly good but needs to be more consistent....(Scandella needs to go).

Really all the Sabres need is a good 2nd line and they are a playoff team. I think they have some pieces to work with ....Mitts maybe, Olofson, Nylander, Thompson all are question marks. We know all four can play in the NHL.....but are they good enough to be 2nd line pieces or 3rd line guys.

With two first round picks in this draft I am hoping we get two forwards that can help them towards the end of next years season to get into the playoffs. Figure one of the two might be a quick learner and be ready to play after a half a season in the AHL. One can only hope!

4. Rock on:

HipKat (04-13-19)