Thread: Breaking Down Which DT the Bills should draft in 1st round: Rashan Gray, Michigan

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

Breaking Down Which DT the Bills should draft in 1st round: Rashan Gray, Michigan

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...t-round-talent

Why Rashan Gary is not a first-round talent
    BY STEVE PALAZZOLO • MAR 15, 2019

The former five-star recruit has incredible size and athleticism, dripping with “potential” and “upside,” though the on-field results have been good, not great, by PFF standards.

Gary’s best overall season grade is 80.4, coming last year on only 353 snaps and his peak pass-rush grade is only 72.7, earned in 2017 on 341 rushes. Historically, the best college pass-rushers have had pass-rush grades upwards of 85.0, and players with a grade of 87.0-plus have done a far better job of translating to the NFL.

Gary falls far below that standard...

Gary ranks just 64th among edge defenders in the draft class with at least 100 opportunities and only 30th among those with at least 250 rushes.

His 68.8 pass-rush grade in such situations is just as concerning as his overall grading suggests.

While the general narrative around Gary is that he has the “traits” to develop at the next level, the proper question is why a 280-pound, outstanding athlete did not produce at the college level. When diving into the data, the picture looks bleak and Gary is one of the riskiest prospects in the draft, especially if drafted in the first round, particularly in the top 10

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Wonder why he didn’t go anything at his pro day? Showed up but said he wouldn’t do any drills.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm not sold on gary. I'd pass.

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by f8ta1ity54 View Post
    I'm not sold on gary. I'd pass.
    Makes you nervous to take a guy like this at #9.

You have to be triple sure about that pick. Even if you go conservative, and draft an OLineman that might not be sexy, if that Olinemen is going to be a starter for the next 5 years, you got value for your pick.

Shaq Lawson, while not a top 10 pick, really wasn't good value. Tre' White definitely was. So was Stephon Gilmore.

Let's use the 1st round pick on a damn good player, no matter the position.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
    Makes you nervous to take a guy like this at #9.

You have to be triple sure about that pick. Even if you go conservative, and draft an OLineman that might not be sexy, if that Olinemen is going to be a starter for the next 5 years, you got value for your pick.

Shaq Lawson, while not a top 10 pick, really wasn't good value. Tre' White definitely was. So was Stephon Gilmore.

Let's use the 1st round pick on a damn good player, no matter the position.
    Too much talent for so little production. I think his best fit is 3Tech, but I'd rather go with a proven player. We drafted Allen and Edmund's on potential. I don't know how long you can keep drafting on potential before it bites you in the ass.