Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on what type of WR the Bills should target in the draft. Agree?

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

My thoughts on what type of WR the Bills should target in the draft. Agree?

One philosophy is for a team to have a quick, shifty, usually shorter slot receiver, and another WR that is a speed burner to get deep and a third receiver who is tall and get win jump balls in the redzone. The 3rd WR, i.e. tall power forward was what we were hoping for with Kelvin Benjamin. (all receivers you hope can get open...)

IMO we shouldn't target another WR in the Kelvin Benjamin mold. Why? Josh Allen.

Josh Allen is a unique QB. I think he is best utilized if we have multiple guys that can take the top off of defenses, i.e. get open deep. Let's admit Josh is not the most accurate passer in the world and he is not going to chew up defenses with 12 yard slants and digs based on accuracy and timing. But he can fling it deep. So let's play to his strengths.

He can chuck it 50 yards and if it isn't perfectly accurate our WR can adjust to the ball.

Should we hope for Marquise Brown or DK Metcalf then?
    Robert Foster, Marquise Brown, Zay Jones and maybe a Isaiah McKenzie type.

Per NFLDraftScout.com

The Top 5

N'Keal Harry, Arizona State (Day 1) -- The human highlight reel has a knack for making the big play and owns a drawer full of evasive open-field moves that he can pull out at any time.

A.J. Brown, Mississippi (Day 1) -- While his speed is adequate, the Rebels playmaker is highly competitive, as he excels utilizing his frame and physicality to badger smaller cornerbacks.

D.K. Metclaf, Mississippi (Day 1) -- An excellent combination of size and speed, Metcalf flashes a great get-off and can fly downfield but will need to check out medically, as he suffered a scary neck injury this season.

Marquise Brown, Oklahoma (Day 1) -- A big time vertical threat who can blow the top off of any defense and flashes the agility to make defenders miss in the open field.

Kelvin Harmon, North Carolina State (Day 1) -- The tall, physical wide out is near automatic on back shoulder throws and is a great leaper in jump ball situations, often winning the high point battle.

2. Rock on:

Woody (01-11-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    My personal top 5 WRs for this year's draft are (before the Combine):

1. DK Metcalf - I just think the potential there is too great to ignore even if he's a bit raw right now
    2. Deebo Samuel - He can play any role you need. Line him up as your X and he can beat press coverage as well as anyone in the draft class. Line him up as your Z and he can use his route running to get separation on the boundary. Line him up as your slot and he has the quickness to beat his man and rack up YAC. And on top of all that, he's a kick/punt returner (which isn't nearly as valuable as it used to be, but it's at least another feather in his cap)
    3. N'Keal Harry - He's not as good against press coverage as I'd like, but given his body type, there's potential there. As is, he's probably best slotted to be your Z receiver, where he can use his body control and YAC ability to make plays for you. We'll see how he measures out athletically at the Combine, but I think he's a good prospect.
    4. Tyre Brady - He has, in my opinion, maybe the best hands in the draft class. He shows great body control to adjust to the ball in the air and is all-around pretty athletic. He's not the best in terms of route running, but he does have some natural wiggle to him to get open; definitely needs to refine this a bit though.
    5. Riley Ridley/Kelvin Harmon - Both are well-rounded WRs. Ridley is a bit more explosive but I think Harmon is a little better at the catch point.

4. Rock on:

Woody (01-11-19)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    I have been tooting the Deebo Samuel horn for a while......

Just reminds me a lot of a former WR we lost to the Rams that we should have not let go recently.

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowart69 View Post
    I have been tooting the Deebo Samuel horn for a while......

Just reminds me a lot of a former WR we lost to the Rams that we should have not let go recently.
    The question is: Is he the best style of WR for Josh Allen.

Noone is going to turn Tom Brady into a running QB.
    Noone is going to turn Lamar Jackson into Peyton Manning 2.0

Josh needs to have a great Oline and then WRs that can get open deep.
    IMO I don't see Josh ever being that super accurate, timing QB so some very good WRs won't be a fit for his skill set.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    I'm in on DK and Hoyllwood and I'll take Deebo Samuel on name value alone.

Harry scares me. I just dont think he gets constant separation. He's a truck once he has the ball, but against NFL DB's I don't see where the space is going to come from.

8. Rock on:

Crazy Legs (01-11-19)

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beef View Post
    I'm in on DK and Hoyllwood and I'll take Deebo Samuel on name value alone.

Harry scares me. I just dont think he gets constant separation. He's a truck once he has the ball, but against NFL DB's I don't see where the space is going to come from.
    I think no to Harry.

Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State could be an option in the 2nd round.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    I'm in firebaugh. Either the town is flooded or Josh is signing autographs. Slow traffic.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
    The question is: Is he the best style of WR for Josh Allen.

Noone is going to turn Tom Brady into a running QB.
    Noone is going to turn Lamar Jackson into Peyton Manning 2.0

Josh needs to have a great Oline and then WRs that can get open deep.
    IMO I don't see Josh ever being that super accurate, timing QB so some very good WRs won't be a fit for his skill set.
    I fell into this trap with James Hardy...I though we needed a big WR for whatever reason. Well...he sucked. I was happy that we took him ahead of Desean Jackson...whoops.

Josh Allen needs good WRs and they come in all shapes and sizes. Odell Beckham would be fine and he's only 5'11. Take the best guy and don't fall prey to needing a certain style would be my thoughts.

Also, in today's NFL, little guys are having more and more success bc you simply can't be that physical with them and the game is so spread out that their quickness wins routes.

12. Rock on:

Woody (01-11-19)

Build the OLINE

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo13 View Post
    I fell into this trap with James Hardy...I though we needed a big WR for whatever reason. Well...he sucked. I was happy that we took him ahead of Desean Jackson...whoops.

Josh Allen needs good WRs and they come in all shapes and sizes. Odell Beckham would be fine and he's only 5'11. Take the best guy and don't fall prey to needing a certain style would be my thoughts.

Also, in today's NFL, little guys are having more and more success bc you simply can't be that physical with them and the game is so spread out that their quickness wins routes.
    I remember drafting James Hardy. Going into the draft, Beavis and Butthead HAD to have a guy that was Tall.

Talk about drafting based on need vs BPA.

I would call James Hardy a definite bust.

An Elite Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo13 View Post
    Josh Allen needs good WRs and they come in all shapes and sizes. .
    That's where I'm at. All I'm concerned with is the hands. When the ball hits the guy in the hands IT NEEDS TO STAY THERE. Size and speed are nothing when you're dropping balls all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by seandelevan View Post
    Fuck this team

Quote Originally Posted by StraightJ View Post
    I'll tie a frying pan to my ass so you hurt your penis, you ****ing homo!

Quote Originally Posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
    Shut the fuck up dark cloud pussy

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejays View Post
    Anyone who is foolish enough to not be a Buffalo Bills fan can go f*ck themselves with a wooden shovel handle.