Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mueller About To Have His Say

I Hope I Offended You....

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

Mueller About To Have His Say

Edited: Full Story Here

Throughout his investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election, special counsel Robert Mueller has imposed on his team an ironclad rule: nobody leaks and nobody speaks -- out of court, that is. But when it comes to official court filings -- indictments, plea agreements, sentencing memos -- Mueller has been loquacious and at times downright chatty, disclosing in compelling narrative fashion crucial details about his investigation and tantalizing clues about what might happen next.

This week, Mueller is due to make three crucial court filings -- sentencing memos for Michael Flynn, Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort. Each document will tell us something important about what the future holds for these defendants and, more importantly, about what Mueller knows and where he might be headed. By the end of this week, we will know much more about the strength of Mueller's hand and the threat his investigation poses to President Donald Trump and his administration.

Michael Flynn
    Ever since his December 2017 guilty plea, Flynn has been something of a mystery man. Trump's former national security adviser, Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak. Flynn falsely told the FBI he had not asked Kislyak to refrain from escalating the situation in response to sanctions that the outgoing Obama administration had imposed on Russia.
    Flynn pleaded guilty via a cooperation agreement, which means that Mueller now knows everything that Flynn knows. Yet Mueller has not made any moves or brought any new charges that are obviously based on Flynn's cooperation.

Now we should finally hear that story. Flynn is set for sentencing on December 18, and Mueller's sentencing memo is due this Tuesday, December 4. That submission should answer one fundamental question about Flynn: what the heck has this guy been up to?

One thing is certain: much of the mystery surrounding Flynn, and his cooperation with Mueller, is finally about to be solved.

Michael Cohen
    Cohen's sentencing memo, filed last week in the Southern District of New York ("SDNY"), lobbed two grenades in Trump's direction -- one right at him and another close by. The direct hit came in Cohen's assertion that he "participated in planning discussions" with Trump regarding hush money payments to Stephanie Clifford and Karen McDougal, and that Cohen paid Clifford "in coordination with and at the direction of" Trump (as Cohen previously stated under oath when he pleaded guilty in August to campaign finance violations).

If true -- and the Wall Street Journal recently published an investigative piece containing extensive corroboration for Cohen's contentions -- then Trump almost certainly participated in a violation of federal campaign finance law. When Cohen pleaded guilty, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said "the President in this matter has done nothing wrong, and there are no charges against him."

The indirect damage arises from Cohen's assertion in the memo that he lied to Congress about the timing of Trump's efforts to build a tower in Moscow "to support and advance (Trump's) political messaging." Cohen claims that he "remained in close contact with White House staff and counsel to (Trump)" about the Moscow project and his testimony to Congress. Cohen stops short of saying that he lied at Trump's direction or that he discussed his false testimony with Trump. Nonetheless, Cohen's false testimony to Congress poses political problems for Trump (who repeatedly and falsely denied that he had business dealings with Russia during a time when he plainly did, according to Cohen) and criminal problems for anyone in the White House who advised or encouraged Cohen to testify falsely. Anyone else who testified falsely to Congress about the timing of the Moscow project could be in Mueller's line of fire as well.

Paul Manafort
    This one should be the main event. Last week, Mueller dropped a bombshell when he notified a federal judge that Manafort had breached his cooperation agreement by lying repeatedly to federal prosecutors and agents "on a variety of subject matters." Mueller told the judge he would "file a detailed sentencing submission ... in advance of sentencing that sets forth the nature of the defendant's crimes and lies, including those after signing the plea agreement."

Mueller is due to file that sentencing memo by Friday, December 7, and it promises to be a barnburner. Mueller has promised to lay it all out: the specifics of Manafort's lies and the proof establishing the truth of the underlying matters.

Here, Manafort might have lied in an effort to protect himself. He might have illicit money stashed away that he did not want to turn over to Mueller, or he might have committed other crimes that he did not want to admit. Both are common scenarios.

This is going to get interesting, and soon.
    #theresistance | #nevertrump | #notmypresident

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    just flush the deuce
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

3. Rock on:

HipKat (12-04-18)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Sack
    “‘I looked for someone among you who could build walls or stand in front of me by the gaps in the walls to defend the land and keep it from being destroyed. But I couldn’t find anyone." Ezekiel 22:30

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    For those of you who think that this is wrapping up soon:

6. Rock on:

f8ta1ity54 (12-05-18),HipKat (12-05-18)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Loquacious? Is she a witness?

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    So--well-- what's behind the black? That's what I think we'd all like to know. Is it something about Hilliary's uranium deal with the Russians? Or could it be about that child sex-ring operation orchestrated by Hillary at a pizzeria?

Or might it be a detailed account of the crimes committed by Comey or Peter Strzok or other enemies of the people?

I have my own theory, which maybe sounds crazy. I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, Dotard and his campaign people discussed lifting sanctions against Russia in exchange for a little bit of help in winning the election.

Whoops. That's sort of against the law and the Constitution, ain't it? And Donald looked like such a nice, honest, well-behaved boy, too. I really would never have suspected him of doing anything unethical or against the law. I'm sure that Dotard's cult followers will agree with me.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Pigworth View Post
    I have my own theory, which maybe sounds crazy. I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, Dotard and his campaign people discussed lifting sanctions against Russia in exchange for a little bit of help in winning the election.
    Sounds awesome, now explain to us how the Russians orchestrated non-stop positive media coverage for Trump, fed him debate questions ahead of time, helped him destroy largely establishment candidates in the primaries, organized rallies that drew thousands of energetic supporters, duped millions into voting for him (including HipKat), and managed to do all of this with roughly half the money of his opponent.

I can't wait to hear your theory on how this Crime of the Century occurred.
    Sack
    “‘I looked for someone among you who could build walls or stand in front of me by the gaps in the walls to defend the land and keep it from being destroyed. But I couldn’t find anyone." Ezekiel 22:30

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Lord, can't you reply to anything without backing up your truck with MAGA stickers all over it and unloading a big steaming pile of deflection?

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Pigworth View Post
    Lord, can't you reply to anything without backing up your truck with MAGA stickers all over it and unloading a big steaming pile of deflection?
    You still didn't answer the question. Let's hear your analysis of how the Russians assured Trump's victory. You threw it out there and now it's time to back it up.
    Sack

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SackMan518 View Post
    You still didn't answer the question. Let's hear your analysis of how the Russians assured Trump's victory. You threw it out there and now it's time to back it up.
    It's not so much my theory as it's the prevailing opinion being espoused by all the political and legal commentators and experts who don't wear a big, beautiful MAGA hat.

Source: all the newspapers, etc. Look it up, sweet Sack.