Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ROR Trade

Range Member
    Groan
    Groans: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    they got two solid nhl caliber contributors, a center pospect with half an nhl season. and two high picks. seems like an average return, nobody fleeced nobody
    They also got rid of a malcontent. As we have seen with the Pegulas' other team, that has its benefits.
    "Every single day I went out there I tried to have respect for the game and I played as hard as I possibly could." Derek Jeter 9/25/14

2. Rock on:

HipKat (07-03-18)

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by wagoncircler View Post
    They also got rid of a malcontent. As we have seen with the Pegulas' other team, that has its benefits.
    that and the cap relief have to be why they did this deal, cause from a player standpoint, it was shit.

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by 212frawk View Post
    Ugh, I hated this trade. Two vets that are marginal additions and Tage is a 3rd liner at best. Maybe the picks turn into something but I thought the idea was to get immediate help from this move. Dont see how they did that.
    I'm with you, but Ryan sealed his fate by announcing his heart wasn't in the game anymore. Plus it was a landslide dumping his salary and bonus. I'm more interested in our new goalie, tbh

5. Rock on:

SabreBill30 (08-04-18)

welcome to pwngville
    Groan
    dont underestimate the value of adding veteran nhl players in their prime. the two they got from stl and one from pit. that immediately knocks two of their worst players off the roster and replaces them with solid nhl caliber players

ror is a good player but youd have to say his tenure in buffalo was a failure. he was expected to be a centerpiece of the team culture and the team not only didnt get better, it regressed. i dont think he fits with housleys system and still ate up a lot of minutes. now those minutes get spread to better matched veteran players

add in the total goalies change and the dahlin factor and they successfully changed the room. and i doubt bots is done shaping the roster

now we just gotta pray the team comes together better this time. man am i sick of missing sabres playoff hockey - and by a mile. i hardly watched any games last year. whats the chance the team gels quickly and makes a playoff push? god i hope so
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

7. Rock on:

HipKat (07-04-18)

Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    dont underestimate the value of adding veteran nhl players in their prime. the two they got from stl and one from pit. that immediately knocks two of their worst players off the roster and replaces them with solid nhl caliber players

ror is a good player but youd have to say his tenure in buffalo was a failure. he was expected to be a centerpiece of the team culture and the team not only didnt get better, it regressed. i dont think he fits with housleys system and still ate up a lot of minutes. now those minutes get spread to better matched veteran players

add in the total goalies change and the dahlin factor and they successfully changed the room. and i doubt bots is done shaping the roster

now we just gotta pray the team comes together better this time. man am i sick of missing sabres playoff hockey - and by a mile. i hardly watched any games last year. whats the chance the team gels quickly and makes a playoff push? god i hope so
    Most of the pieces are in place and should they fit together as planned this will be a long run of success. I like your thoughts on veteran leadership. Bots is bringing in players from successful organizations. This is a key piece of this puzzle. In the past we've had good players arrive such as Kane and O'Reilly arrive, but their DNA didn't include life on a perennial winner/competitor. Sheary/Wilson/Berglund/Hutton - All players that have lived in a winning environment.

I remember comments from Foligno when he left about how the culture in MINN was so different. That's telling and part of building a successful program is cultivating the right culture.

I don't think Bots is done, at least I hope not. Time for a few more moves - Larsson?

9. Rock on:

Meathead (07-03-18)

Range Member
    Groan

And here's the elephant in the room that no one in the media ever addresses. It's the world's worst kept secret that the Sabres, as constituted over thew past few years, were massive partiers. As a result, their work ethic on most game night was piss poor. That's part of the downside of having a team that's too young.

Flipping some of these kids for adults, professional adults, is something that's sorely needed for this team to break out of its funk.
    "Every single day I went out there I tried to have respect for the game and I played as hard as I possibly could." Derek Jeter 9/25/14

11. Rock on:

Meathead (07-03-18),SabreBill30 (08-04-18)

welcome to pwngville
    Groan
    good points
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Now if they could package up some of those picks and a couple players for Karlsson.....

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by foster View Post
    Now if they could package up some of those picks and a couple players for Karlsson.....
    That has intrigued me as well....the thought of going into the 2019 draft with 3 first round picks is pretty cool too...we would own the draft assuming the two traded picks coming to us from St. Louis and San Jose are not 29th and 31st ish....If one of them has and "off" year and the pick is in the middle teens...that would surely help.

Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoney View Post
    That has intrigued me as well....the thought of going into the 2019 draft with 3 first round picks is pretty cool too...we would own the draft assuming the two traded picks coming to us from St. Louis and San Jose are not 29th and 31st ish....If one of them has and "off" year and the pick is in the middle teens...that would surely help.
    I would think Karlsson would be at least curious about playing with Dahlin/Pilut ... adding Karlsson to the back end would make our defense a force.