Groans: 0
    Year 17/18 18/19

ROSTER SIZE 23 13
    STANDARD PLAYER CONTRACTS 47 30
    AVERAGE AGE 26.5 26.5
    UPPER LIMIT $75,000,000 $75,000,000
    PROJECTED CAP HIT $68,878,827 $55,809,524
    PROJECTED CAP SPACE $6,121,173 $19,190,476

Only 13 players under contract for the roster in 18/19 and Reinhart is an rfa (4 Mill?). This draft really helps without having to pay a number 1 defenseman that kind of money. We can probably fill 7-10 (10-12 Mill?) spots with some prospects Middlestat, Guhle, CJ Smith, Justin Bailey (Rfa), Fasching (Rfa) Nylinder, Baptiste (rfa) Dahlin, Nelson (UFA) and Ulmark and we still need a goailie (2-3 Mill?) So we probably have 1-3 Mill left and we need a bit for the season.

We need to trade somebody that has value.

JP you can't because of the salary/term and production plus a mntc
    Can't move Molson is buried and has a ntc
    Can't move Okposo has a nmc and is paid 6 mill for the next 5 years.
    Shouldn't move Risto at this point
    Bogo can't move makes 5.1+ for 2 years and is always hurt. Who is paying for that?
    Scandella was fairly solild not sure why you would want to move him at 4 mill per year.

The rest make next to nothing next year and won't garner much back in any trade.

That leaves you Reinhart or O'Reilly and possibly Scandella to trade off to make cap room if you want to make a push for John Tavares in the FA sweepstakes.

Reinhart actually should have pretty good value to keep.

Perfect world scenario Trade O'Reilly and Scandella and Kane resign with SJ we could have 4 1st round picks between this year and next year to restock Rochester (not including the Dahlin pick) or some great prospects and still have a pretty dynamic team this year if you can sway JT. It would be an embarrassment of riches

Groan
    Bob McKenzie says there may be interest in some sort of O'Reilly for Skinner deal.

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/...a-has-interest

Ryan O'Reilly has been the subject of pretty much any trade talk involving the Buffalo Sabres since the end of the season. One of TSN's insiders Bob McKenzie added to the O'Reilly rumors on his podcast "The TSN Hockey Bobcast".

"Jeff Skinner is likely to be dealt. We've talked about Buffalo trading Ryan O'Reilly, Carolina has interest. I could see Buffalo having interest in Skinner. I think they're looking at all different areas to try and upgrade themselves in Buffalo. So, there's some gossip to keep an eye on."

Jeff Skinner would be an interesting piece for the Sabres to bring back in a trade. He has just one more year on his contract at $5.725 million. He's now 26 years old, coming off a 49-point season. Two years ago, 2016-17, was one of Skinner's best seasons of his career. He tied his career high point total with 63, and set a career high in goals with 37. Despite concussion concerns in his career, Skinner has missed just eight games in his last four seasons.

It's likely the Sabres would get something else valuable back in a package that included both Ryan O'Reilly and Jeff Skinner. One guy is a center with a long term deal, while the other is a winger going into a contract season. A deal involving both players wouldn't be a surprise given what Jason Botterill talked about in his end of season press conference.

"I really want to improve our team speed up front. We need to add skill, but we need to add speed on the wings."

The Sabres GM could add the speed to the wing he's looking for in Jeff Skinner.

The Hurricanes are the perfect team for an O'Reilly trade, given that they're in need of a top line center. Last season Jordan Staal was their highest scoring centerman with 46-points. Youngster Elias Lindholm is a nice looking player down the middle, but is now entering his sixth season at age 24. If he was going to make a big jump to be a top centerman, he probably would've done it by now.

For comparison, O'Reilly hasn't had a season with less than 50-points in seven years when he was 19-years old.

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Wide Right View Post
    Eichel isn't nor will he ever be the guy you build a team around. He's a slightly above average NHL player and common sense dictates you would get even value back for him in a trade.Give me an above average goalie and I'd give them Eichel any day of the week.Risto has shown me more than any Sabre this season as well, not trading him.
    Are you just trolling? Seriously saying Eichel is just a slightly above average player pretty much says your knowledge of hockey might not be so good. Eichel is a a generational talent, he makes everyone on his line look better. The only weakness in his entire game is face off wins. Otherwise he is a top 20 player in the NHL. With a good surrounding cast he will eventually be a top 10 if not top 5 player. You most certainly build your team around him. Sabres problem is the blue line and goaltending. If they draft Dahlin and bring up Guhle, that should help to address the lack of talent on the blue line. Ullmark should be an improvement over Lehner. Problem also is our D men are not getting the puck out of the zone to allow guys like Eichel to move with the puck with a full head of steam. Half the time the pass coming out of the D zone is behind the forward which kills the momentum of the forward driving forward. Dahlin and Guhle are both good passers, so that should substantially improve with them on the roster.

As for O'Reily he is a good center and has value, but he is slow and the NHL is a speed game now. Okaposo would be the first player I would put on the trade waiver unless he lures Taveres from Long Isalnd then him and Moulson can stay and play on his line.

4. Rock on:

Angry Byrds (06-12-18),LVBillsfan (06-10-18)

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan186 View Post
    Are you just trolling? Seriously saying Eichel is just a slightly above average player pretty much says your knowledge of hockey might not be so good. Eichel is a a generational talent, he makes everyone on his line look better. The only weakness in his entire game is face off wins. Otherwise he is a top 20 player in the NHL. With a good surrounding cast he will eventually be a top 10 if not top 5 player. You most certainly build your team around him. Sabres problem is the blue line and goaltending. If they draft Dahlin and bring up Guhle, that should help to address the lack of talent on the blue line. Ullmark should be an improvement over Lehner. Problem also is our D men are not getting the puck out of the zone to allow guys like Eichel to move with the puck with a full head of steam. Half the time the pass coming out of the D zone is behind the forward which kills the momentum of the forward driving forward. Dahlin and Guhle are both good passers, so that should substantially improve with them on the roster.

As for O'Reily he is a good center and has value, but he is slow and the NHL is a speed game now. Okaposo would be the first player I would put on the trade waiver unless he lures Taveres from Long Isalnd then him and Moulson can stay and play on his line.
    O'Reilly's value is Faceoff and PP. Outside of that his lack of speed is his achilles. His Hockey smarts makes up for a lot of it, but ultimately he's not going to get faster and his 2 years from now role as a 3rd line center is not worth his salary cost. with the signing of Mittelstadt, O'Reilly's worth to the team decreases at his current Salary. Eichel/Mittelestadt are your 1/2 Center's on this team. If you keep O'Reilly, then maybe Mittelstadt plays the wing, but he's really your #2 Center long term.

If you can get the fast sniper winger in a trade for O'Reilly, do it. That is this team's weakness up front.

On D, the darkhorse could be Pilut. He just won D player of the year in the Swedish Elite league and could play a bigger impact role for this team than expected. Housley will have his horses next year in Guhle, Dahlin, Pilut, Scandella, Risto, Nelson .. All players that can play a faster, mobile, transition game. It will be a no excuse season.

I'm excited for the draft and the days leading up to it. There are going to be some big changes to this team. Younger, faster, more energy and I'm good with it.

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan186 View Post

Am I trolling about Jack, no I'm not. He's a 3 season 20 goal scorer with a glaring -54 in those 3 seasons in the plus-minus category.Eichel is a generational talent you say? I'm glad you are parroting the silly sports announcers you hear speaking of Dahlin as a generational talent and repeating the latest stupid phrase.Your second stupid comment is calling Eichel a top 20 player in the national league.What the hell is that based on? His best season had him scoring 25 goals and a -25, how the hell does that translate into a top 20 player.You then go on to forecast Jack as a top 5 player!!! Thank you for sharing your vast hockey knowledge fan boy.

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Wide Right View Post
    Am I trolling about Jack, no I'm not. He's a 3 season 20 goal scorer with a glaring -54 in those 3 seasons in the plus-minus category.Eichel is a generational talent you say? I'm glad you are parroting the silly sports announcers you hear speaking of Dahlin as a generational talent and repeating the latest stupid phrase.Your second stupid comment is calling Eichel a top 20 player in the national league.What the hell is that based on? His best season had him scoring 25 goals and a -25, how the hell does that translate into a top 20 player.You then go on to forecast Jack as a top 5 player!!! Thank you for sharing your vast hockey knowledge fan boy.
    67 games played 64 Points....25 goals. Don't take into account that you have crap goal tending and only 2 decent defensemen and coming off injury. Talent around Eichel is also not exactly top notch. Had Kane for a while after that not much Winger help either. Rhineheart is good but not excellent. Yeah I think Eichel can be a top 5 player in the league if you build the team around him to let him thrive.

8. Rock on:

biggbrd27 (06-17-18)

Groan
    We should know the plan by early afternoon Saturday. Does Botterill radically change this team with some blockbusters? Or is it incremental bits and pieces?

10. Rock on:

biggbrd27 (06-19-18)

Groan
    https://frshockey.com/nhl/canadiens/...for-canadiens/

With the draft tomorrow, trade rumors are all over the place. Reinhart and Ristolinan's name pop up, but there doesn't seem to be much to them. Several people are saying that O'Reilly could be going to Montreal and that the 3rd overall pick or Max Pacioretty could be in play. There would obviously be additional assets moving, but those are the big pieces.

I'm not sure I'd want Max Pacioretty. The team needs a LW, but he turns 30 this year and is in the last year of his contract.

Per Pierre LeBrun, Philly, St. Louis, and Carolina could be after O'Reilly as well.
    Last edited by The Grin; 06-21-18 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added info

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grin View Post
    https://frshockey.com/nhl/canadiens/...for-canadiens/

With the draft tomorrow, trade rumors are all over the place. Reinhart and Ristolinan's name pop up, but there doesn't seem to be much to them. Several people are saying that O'Reilly could be going to Montreal and that the 3rd overall pick or Max Pacioretty could be in play. There would obviously be additional assets moving, but those are the big pieces.

I'm not sure I'd want Max Pacioretty. The team needs a LW, but he turns 30 this year and is in the last year of his contract.

Per Pierre LeBrun, Philly, St. Louis, and Carolina could be after O'Reilly as well.
    I could live with the 3rd overall....

13. Rock on:

HipKat (06-23-18),The Grin (06-21-18)

Groan
    According to this rumor, Lehner is gone:

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rum...es/2018/06/21/
    Bill Hoppe of Buffalo Hockey Beat: Robin Lehnerís days in Buffalo could be coming to an end. If the Sabres are not able to trade him at the draft, they could opt to not qualify him at $4 million, therefore making him an unrestricted free agent.

Itís not known if/which teams would be interested in Lehner. He may be better suited for a backup role.

If they move on from Lehner, they will need to bring in another goalie. Pending UFA Chad Johnson made it clear he wasnít interested in re-signing. The free agent market may not hold much so the Sabres could look to make a deal.

Pending UFA goalies they could consider include Carter Hutton, Jonathan Bernier, Kari Lehtonen, and Michael Hutchinson.

15. Rock on:

mikgaes (06-27-18),SabreBill30 (06-21-18)