Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do they go from here?

Groan
    Groans: 0
    Elliotte Friedman's thoughts on Botterill, Kane trade, and the rebuild.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...als-fell-flat/

11. Buffalo GM Jason Botterill took heat for not getting a guaranteed first-rounder in exchange for Evander Kane. Word is one other team raised the possibility of a first-round pick for the winger three or four days prior to the deadline, but pulled the offer when something else came up. That left Botterill with San Jose’s Doug Wilson, who can grind with the best of them.

Botterill had a choice: take what he could or lose Kane for nothing. Look at the deals where opening-round selections were included. Tampa gave up two (potentially) for McDonagh and J.T. Miller. Both have term or team control. Vegas gave up one for Tomas Tatar, still with term. Chicago got one for Ryan Hartman, a restricted free agent. (There was a lot of interest in him.)

Pittsburgh gave up one for Brassard, with another year on his contract. Only two UFAs featured such a return — Rick Nash and Paul Stastny. Botterill tried to build a market, but Kane simply wasn’t as highly valued as Nash. As for Stastny, teams generally don’t ask players to waive full no-trade clauses without reason. Winnipeg gave St. Louis one.

12. There was some indication the Sabres could have gotten a better deal if they moved Kane last summer, but I remembered something Botterill said not long after taking the job. He discussed how you have to be careful to not make decisions based on what you heard, as opposed to what you see. One of Buffalo’s recent issues is spending so much on bad fits. Clearly, they made the choice to find out firsthand what they had. There wasn’t a market for Robin Lehner, either. If Botterill’s discovered anything, it’s that this is a much bigger rebuild than he thought.

2. Rock on:

SabreBill30 (02-28-18)

Groan
    Our players just aren't that desirable.
    My AAB is Kyle Williams...

U.S.Navy, Retired 1986-2015

4. Rock on:

The Grin (02-28-18)

Groan
    No Eichel, no Okposo and they beat TB. Maybe part of the issue is relying too much on the top players? Tonight was an impressive win.

6. Rock on:

biggbrd27 (03-02-18),Meathead (03-01-18),SabreBill30 (03-01-18)

welcome to pwngville
    Groan
    well if we get lucky its an addition by subtraction kind of thing

if you recall at the end of last season there was a lot of frustrated talk coming from the players about a lack of buy-in and being too selfish. weve also heard from housley that the team doesnt want to make the sacrifices necessary to win in the nhl. i have a strong feeling that was a not so subtle jab at bad citizen kane

its possible that just getting him off the team will raise everybody elses effort. there wont be any more tension between the players about effort and commitment. the team might finally come together and be a focused team

if that happens, a second rounder will feel like a steal
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Josh Allen is my adopt-a-nigga
    Harrison Phillips is my adopt-a-meatball

8. Rock on:

SabreBill30 (03-01-18)

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    well if we get lucky its an addition by subtraction kind of thing

if you recall at the end of last season there was a lot of frustrated talk coming from the players about a lack of buy-in and being too selfish. weve also heard from housley that the team doesnt want to make the sacrifices necessary to win in the nhl. i have a strong feeling that was a not so subtle jab at bad citizen kane

its possible that just getting him off the team will raise everybody elses effort. there wont be any more tension between the players about effort and commitment. the team might finally come together and be a focused team

if that happens, a second rounder will feel like a steal
    I agree. There seems to be more pride in their game recently. Also more structure. Fewer players being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm interested to see O'Regan play. I look at O'Regan and E-Rod and think there could be some interesting chemistry there. Hopefully O'Regan is a finisher.

Groan
    Too bad they could move the team with the guarantee that we would have an expansion team the following year.
    My AAB is Kyle Williams...

U.S.Navy, Retired 1986-2015

Groan
    This team is infuriating. 3 GMs, 3 Coaches and still no changes in attitude and culture.

I hope Botterill has the green light to do what it will take to turn this team and franchise around.

Groan
    Starts with goaltending. You saw it last night. Get rid of Lehner. He’s awful. Game in and game out he lets easy ones in. Time to bring up the younger guys

13. Rock on:

SabreBill30 (03-26-18)