Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts to allow girls ... WHY?

VIP Member

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0
    Next you will only call them "Scouts". No gender can be used.
    My AAB is Kyle Williams...

U.S.Navy, Retired 1986-2015

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    The tail is wagging the fucking dog.

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreBill30 View Post
    Next you will only call them "Scouts". No gender can be used.
    that might not be a bad part of an eventual solution. but i also think its healthy for males and females to have their own gender specific organizations if they want

so i guess that means three organizations. or perhaps a merging of the two and then under that roof they could have three different options: boys/girls/both
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

4. Rock on:

Angry Byrds (10-12-17)

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterateStylish View Post
    Boy Scouts to allow girls ... WHY?
    btw, the 'why' appears obvious. you have some girls that are more oriented towards traditionally masculine things (ie. a tomboy), and boys that are more oriented to traditionally feminine things (ie. a fashion designer)

i can see why a kid of one gender would be interested in participating in activities primarily in the other genders group

what we CANT do is allow girls to join boy scouts and then not allow boys to join girlscouts. it needs to be equal access or no access, which is why i proposed merging the groups and having three options. you could easily mix the activities to make the third group, and members could transfer to the gender specific group if they later wanted to do that

it would be a huge transition for the boy/girl scouts but thats the times we live in, and i think thats actually a good and acceptable thing

so fresh

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    btw, the 'why' appears obvious. you have some girls that are more oriented towards traditionally masculine things (ie. a tomboy), and boys that are more oriented to traditionally feminine things (ie. a fashion designer)

i can see why a kid of one gender would be interested in participating in activities primarily in the other genders group

what we CANT do is allow girls to join boy scouts and then not allow boys to join girlscouts. it needs to be equal access or no access, which is why i proposed merging the groups and having three options. you could easily mix the activities to make the third group, and members could transfer to the gender specific group if they later wanted to do that

it would be a huge transition for the boy/girl scouts but thats the times we live in, and i think thats actually a good and acceptable thing
    Girl scouts do the same activites as boy scouts (for the most part).

In fact, girl scouts and boy scouts typically camp on the opposite side of the lake.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    The boys and girls do do different things, boys don't earn butterfly badges when the whittle wood. They will not be mixed it will be all girl or all boys still and male and femalle leaders. It is also up to each troop if they want both. Also being a parent of both a boy and girl, its more convenient to drop them off at the same place the same day. Easier for parents to volunteer together as well. I know my daughter wouldnt want to sell cookies and knit.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    that might not be a bad part of an eventual solution. but i also think its healthy for males and females to have their own gender specific organizations if they want

so i guess that means three organizations. or perhaps a merging of the two and then under that roof they could have three different options: boys/girls/both
    Agreed

welcome to pwngville

Status

Groan
    true story: i had an indian friend on the res here near niagara falls and i used to stay over at their house. he had a little brother who was very sensitive and effeminate. needless to say, the younger brother struggled on the reservation and moved off the res as soon as he could, while his older brother went into the army

the younger brother sorta lost touch with his family pretty quickly and they didnt even really know where he was. i didnt hear about him for probably ten years until all of a sudden he turns up in paris as a legitimate big time fashion designer with his own line of clothes! i mean we are talking full blooded tuscaroran here. he just happened to be a brilliant designer

sadly, he turned up dead about ten years after that in a suicide. apparently the pressure of being a fashion designer in the center of the fashion design universe got to him. at least thats what his family believed happened to him

and yeah, he was gay. not that it really matters but i knew you were probably wondering
    Last edited by Meathead; 10-12-17 at 05:01 PM.

so fresh

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Byrds View Post
    The boys and girls do do different things, boys don't earn butterfly badges when the whittle wood. They will not be mixed it will be all girl or all boys still and male and femalle leaders. It is also up to each troop if they want both. Also being a parent of both a boy and girl, its more convenient to drop them off at the same place the same day. Easier for parents to volunteer together as well. I know my daughter wouldnt want to sell cookies and knit.
    Yeah, instead of getting a butterfly badge, boys get a whittling chip.

It's the same damn thing, just a different name for it.

Knit? What are you even talking about.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterateStylish View Post
    Yeah, instead of getting a butterfly badge, boys get a whittling chip.

It's the same damn thing, just a different name for it.

Knit? What are you even talking about.
    Its a Girl Scout patch for knitting and crocheting. Why don't have a child before pretending to know more than me? Boys and girls scouts absolutely do differnt things