Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

QB Pat Mahomes II Texas Tech

Junior QB Pat Mahomes II Texas Tech
    Listed 6'3" 230

Plays in a spread offense

-Big time arm, can make all NFL throws
    -Quick 3/4 release
    -Very physical, reminds me of Winston, hard to bring down and more athletic/mobile than he looks.
    -has good accuracy and good touch
    -Can throw on the run
    -keeps his eyes down field and has good pocket awareness. Will reset and slide his feet, looking to throw, not to run.
    -will throw the ball away and doesn't take too many sacks. Several times I saw him throw the ball with his opposite hand.
    -uses a pump fake to manipulate defenders and get his receivers room to run
    -Appears to be going through progressions, doesn't stare down receivers often.
    -has confidence in his WRs
    -his ability to improvise when plays break down is fun to watch

Dislikes:

-Holds the ball a little too low at times
    -Confidence in his arm strength leads to some sloppy footwork and some inaccuracy
    - as above, confidence in arm strength leads to him throwing across his body, can't do that in NFL
    -footwork is a little unorthodox at times

Bottom line-* coming from the spread he makes alot of throws to RBs coming out of the backfield, WR screens, zone read plays and everything you would expect out of a spread offense. It's a good thing we have watkins and mccoy! He has the arm strength and touch to make all the NFL throws. Mahomes game reminds me of that gunslinger mentality. He can create a lot of big plays but once in a while his confidence works against him. His ability to make something out of nothing is very fun to watch. He has that rodgers, favre, Russell Wilson type of "it factor". His intangibles are off the charts IMO.
    I think with the right coaching and the right scheme he could be a starting calibre Qb. He needs to clean up his footwork for sure. He will have to prove he can run a pro style offense, read a defense and play under center. I'm not sure where he goes in the draft. Coming from a spread, you never know. I'm sure NFL scouts will have a lot of different opinions on whether he can transition to the NFL game. He was given a second round grade and I think that's where he'll go. I could see a team looking for the next Dak Prescott and pulling the trigger early on day 2.

IMO NFL comparison: Matt Stafford with more athleticism

2. Rock on:

Angry Byrds (01-18-17),bcw (01-17-17)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is what a saw after watching a bunch of 2015 and 2016 games.

Comment, agree or disagree. Let's hear it. I think he could be a great addition in round 2.

Range Member

Status

Groan
    Groans: 0
    Looks interesting but I think I'd have a heart attack waiting for our 2nd round pick if we pass on our QB in the 1st.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bcw View Post
    Looks interesting but I think I'd have a heart attack waiting for our 2nd round pick if we pass on our QB in the 1st.
    Who is hands down worth a first round pick? If they are, how or why would they get past a bunch of Qb needy teams ahead of us?

Range Member

Status

Groan
    It all comes down to how the scouts grade them. If Whaley likes one of the top guys he better pull the trigger. Right now I think he will.

7. Rock on:

f8ta1ity54 (01-20-17)

Range Member

Status

Groan
    As far as why a qb would get passed over by qb needy teams, there is a lot of defensive talent at the top of the draft.

And next year is rumored to be solid qb draft.

9. Rock on:

f8ta1ity54 (01-20-17)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    As far as why a qb would get passed over by qb needy teams, there is a lot of defensive talent at the top of the draft.

And next year is rumored to be solid qb draft.
    There is a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball. But, none of them passes on a sure fire franchise Qb. That guy isn't in this class. Every one of the top Qbs has holes or questions about their game. I think as we get close to the draft mahomes is going to be an hot rising prospect. I just saw on walter football they had him going 10th to buffalo!

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just found this article. LooKS like they saw the same thing I saw for the most part.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.reven...android-att-us

Range Member

Status

Groan
    I just watched a highlight video of him from another thread and I left impressed.

Highlight videos might not be the best way to judge a player, showing only the good and not the bad, but he made some really nice throws, showed touch and kept his eyes down field while under pressure.

Decent size and mobility.

Solid arm.

I like him.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just watched a highlight video of him from another thread and I left impressed.

Highlight videos might not be the best way to judge a player, showing only the good and not the bad, but he made some really nice throws, showed touch and kept his eyes down field while under pressure.

Decent size and mobility.

Solid arm.

I like him.
    Yea, don't watch just highlights. There is plenty of game tape that are just his throws. You can see alot of progression from 2015 to 2016. He would be my first choice at Qb this year. His stock might jump so who knows. If it were possible to trade back into the mid teens and take him I'd do it. I think he will turn heads at the combine. We have to see how he does in interviews and on the whiteboard. I didn't look into it to see if he had any character concerns.