Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All The Throws - Week 2 EJ vs Dolphins

so fresh

Status
    Groan
    Groans: 0

All The Throws - Week 2 EJ vs Dolphins

My name is Ryan, and I am an anonymous Patriots fan. I was owned in a football bet by a resident of a country whose favorite sport is soccer. Here are some nuggets of my football knowledge:• We should have paid more than the Jets for pick #3 in the 2018 draft, since there will be no chance that we can draft Josh Rosen now.• The sky is falling - we lost Mike Gillislee.• Scott Chandler is going to blow up playing with Gronk.• Chris Hogan is going to blow up playing with Brady.• Tyrod Taylor will set the league on fire.

2. Rock on:

C-Ville Backers (09-17-14)

waffle=pancake syrup trap

Status
    Groan
    He is making progress and getting better each game.

I would like to see him clean up the redzone throws, Hackett had good play designs and Woods and Watkins were open in the redzone and Manuel failed to hit them.

The S.D. game will be a good test for him.
    L*t is a losser

Literatesytlish "All you did is waste precious MB's of server space." Lit can attack me every chance he gets in call out threads and posts, but I waste server space when I respond. This is Litlogic.

4. Rock on:

C-Ville Backers (09-17-14)

Range Member

Status

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by junglesouljah View Post
    He is making progress and getting better each game..
    No, he's not. He's just being more and more limited in what he's asked to do, and he has been the beneficiary of outstanding protection.

That's not improvement, that's just limiting the damage.

Hackett deserves big time credit.

6. Rock on:

mshafer71 (09-18-14)

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by wagoncircler View Post
    No, he's not. He's just being more and more limited in what he's asked to do, and he has been the beneficiary of outstanding protection.

That's not improvement, that's just limiting the damage.

Hackett deserves big time credit.
    For a guy like EJ, that is how you have to grow him. Let him play well in a simple offense that can run the ball and protect him while you play defense. It works well out in Seattle. Or San Fran. Pretty much anywhere where you don't get handed a QB named Andrew Luck.

Take a look at Tom Terrific's amazing first year stats of 2800 passing yards, 18 TD, 12 INTs, and 41 sacks. You'd almost certainly guessed he be a hall of fame player that would set passing records 6 or 8 years later.

There is nothing wrong with taking it slow and keeping it simple with a young QB that has not yet started 16 games in the NFL.

8. Rock on:

bcw (09-18-14),C-Ville Backers (09-17-14),junglesouljah (09-17-14),taskerfan (09-18-14)

Range Member

Status

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo13 View Post
    For a guy like EJ, that is how you have to grow him. Let him play well in a simple offense that can run the ball and protect him while you play defense. It works well out in Seattle. Or San Fran. Pretty much anywhere where you don't get handed a QB named Andrew Luck.

Take a look at Tom Terrific's amazing first year stats of 2800 passing yards, 18 TD, 12 INTs, and 41 sacks. You'd almost certainly guessed he be a hall of fame player that would set passing records 6 or 8 years later.

There is nothing wrong with taking it slow and keeping it simple with a young QB that has not yet started 16 games in the NFL.
    This is the mistake people always make.

EJ is NOT Andrew Luck. He is NOT Tom Brady.

He does not have the skill set that those two have. He never will. You can only do so much to improve accuracy on a consistent basis. EJ struggles mightily wham he has plenty of time to throw. Put pressure on him and he is out of his depth.

Status

Groan
    San Diego is gonna be a much tougher task. I'm not so sure our D can hold them to 10 points ala Miami. EJ's gonna have to air it out a bit more this Sunday. Good test to see where he's at progress wise. So far through 2 weeks he hasn't been asked to do much.
    Bills fan for life!! ................
    I love beer, rum, scotch and women !!

Angry Bird Eaters

Status
    Groan
    Aside from about 5 minutes in the 1st quarter of the season opener, the Bills have been tied or leading. There's been no reason for EJ to throw the ball up and down the field. Let the defense and running game take most of the pressure. I don't see this as "dumbing it down" as much as playing it conservative. If he has the potential to "get it", this is how it gets done. He will have to throw it around at some point, and we'll have a much better idea of where his development is.

As long as he isn't a liability with TOs and the Bills win, 25 throws a game is fine by me. Obviously, his redzone work is awful but the running game can't get anything done down there, either. He is playing better than I expected so far, and he's had two decent games in a row. A third decent game game in a row would go a long way in proving that he's indeed improved over last year.

Feel better about the Watson trade yet?
    https://twitter.com/MADmagazine/stat...063168/photo/1

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    This is the mistake people always make.

EJ is NOT Andrew Luck. He is NOT Tom Brady.

He does not have the skill set that those two have. He never will. You can only do so much to improve accuracy on a consistent basis. EJ struggles mightily wham he has plenty of time to throw. Put pressure on him and he is out of his depth.
    First, I did not compare him to either. In fact, I flat out said that he is NOT Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck needed zero development. The Brady example is simply to show that players get better and even great ones don't necessarily set the world on fire to start. EJ Manuel can get better. He can improve. You're right, accuracy is hard to improve but it is doable. He threw some really accurate balls in that game. The bomb to Sammy...the sideline route to Chandler. He pass to Watkins was, IMO, a miss read. He expected a regular post and Sammy took it more vertical or skinny. I don't think that EJ was locked in on him and then missed him by 8 yards. I'll bet you feel otherwise.

In the end, however, what's wrong with having a good team around a QB that is playing okay? Unless you get one of the 6 or 8 really good guys that is what you have to do.

13. Rock on:

C-Ville Backers (09-17-14),SPG (09-17-14)

Range Member

Status

Groan
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo13 View Post
    First, I did not compare him to either. In fact, I flat out said that he is NOT Andrew Luck. Andrew Luck needed zero development. The Brady example is simply to show that players get better and even great ones don't necessarily set the world on fire to start. EJ Manuel can get better. He can improve. You're right, accuracy is hard to improve but it is doable. He threw some really accurate balls in that game. The bomb to Sammy...the sideline route to Chandler. He pass to Watkins was, IMO, a miss read. He expected a regular post and Sammy took it more vertical or skinny. I don't think that EJ was locked in on him and then missed him by 8 yards. I'll bet you feel otherwise.

In the end, however, what's wrong with having a good team around a QB that is playing okay? Unless you get one of the 6 or 8 really good guys that is what you have to do.
    First off, by bringing up Brady and Luck, you are obviously implying that EJ can do what they did/do.

I don't believe he can. As I said, he doesn't have the same tools in his toolbox.

As for "a good team around a QB that is playing OK", There are two issues I have with that. First, it keeps the Bills from trying to improve at the position. And second, improvement is needed if the Bills are going to take the next step--and I don't think EJ has the skill set to make the necessary improvement.

This team has talent, and there can be a very tight window for keeping it that way. I'd like to see what this team could do with a legit, playoff caliber QB. But the way they protect and coddle EJ, we're never going to get to see that.

Range Member

Status
    Groan
    First off, by bringing up Brady and Luck, you are obviously implying that EJ can do what they did/do.

I don't believe he can. As I said, he doesn't have the same tools in his toolbox.

As for "a good team around a QB that is playing OK", There are two issues I have with that. First, it keeps the Bills from trying to improve at the position. And second, improvement is needed if the Bills are going to take the next step--and I don't think EJ has the skill set to make the necessary improvement.

This team has talent, and there can be a very tight window for keeping it that way. I'd like to see what this team could do with a legit, playoff caliber QB. But the way they protect and coddle EJ, we're never going to get to see that.

To that first part...NO! It does not imply that I think EJ can be Luck when I said that you have to let a guy develop because there are so few Andrew Lucks. If anything I implied that EJ is clearly not Andrew Luck. As for Brady, I'm just using him as an example of a QB that I think got a lot better as time went on. EJ Manuel will not reach his heights. But my point is that some guys do get better and I think EJ can as well. Again, not to the level of a Tom Brady, but he can get good enough to win games. Hell, I've never even said that he WILL do it...I've only ever said that I think he can. You guys are saying that you know he can't and I just don't agree with your 100% certainty.

As to your later point, there are like 20 teams in the NFL that want to see what their team can do with a legit, playoff caliber QB. If EJ sucks as bad as you think then we won't win 7 games and maybe Pegula will fire some people and they'll try to get another QB. You can find them later than the first round now (Dalton, CK, Wilson, Foles, although I don't know if anyone short of Drew Brees or Rodgers will satisfy some of the posters around here). I am fully in favor of drafting another QB. IMO they absolutely should have hedged their bet with EJ by drafting another guy in the 3rd or 4th like Washington did but they did not do it.

16. Rock on:

junglesouljah (09-17-14),LVBillsfan (09-17-14),SPG (09-17-14)