Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: I hate the Darby trade

  1. #21
    George's Avatar
    Senior member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 11, 2007
    Posts
    3,019
    I don't like the deal but the Bills will have multiple draft picks in 2018.

    RBs, CBs, and WRs are a dime a dozen in today's NFL.

    The Bills were obviously not in LOVE with Darby.....reeks of a jump job

  2. #22
    Angry Byrds's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 29, 2008
    Posts
    4,762
    Quote Originally Posted by cba fan View Post
    Darby was traded for a avg WR
    Watkins was traded for a below avg DB
    Jordan is an average wr? I have to disagree with that one.

  3. #23
    The Beef's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 8, 2001
    Posts
    5,367
    These moves were made to get the picks first and foremost, and hope to the incoming guy will give you 80% of what he's replaced.

    As well I think bringing in Matthews was a move to appease the vets on offense. He doesn't have Sammy's talent, but he is a legitimate 2 or 3 and brings good size in the red zone.

  4. #24
    DC2007's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 8, 2017
    Posts
    137
    The Darby trade is tough to take on the surface, BUT it's not a bad move. He is not physical enough for this system and doesn't make a lot of great breaks on the ball, he's not a good fit here. The downside is he is under contract for next season at a low rate too. Both guys brought in will be big cap numbers.

    I get the Watkins move, that's an easy one. Essentially you have to believe they are building for the draft.

  5. #25
    The Beef's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 8, 2001
    Posts
    5,367
    I feel McBeane have no intention of bottoming out to get their guy.

    They probably like all 3 of the top QB's in this class and feel with 6 top 100 picks, and a possible add'l 3rd or 4th compensatory (if they cut 3 fringe guys) that they can pay whatever ransom needed to move up and get a franchise QB if the opportunity presents itself.

    If it doesn't they should be able to load up with impact players to fill holes.

    That said, it's pretty obvious for the right value outside of KW they wouldn't blink to make a move.

  6. #26
    cba fan's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 22, 2002
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Byrds View Post
    Jordan is an average wr? I have to disagree with that one.
    His per catch avg is like a TE and he only had 3 td's. Almost 50 WR ranked ahead of him in 2016.

    Her has talent. A possession guy with little YAC and for those who say he is a big red zone threat. 3 td's should answer that question. I like him. I hope he breaks out a little more w TT throwing short. I don't like him instead of Darby or if you combine the two trades I don't like him instead of Watkins and a 6th round draft pick.

    He could have been had for a 5th round pick as the Eagles had too many WR and wanted to dump.
    cba fan

  7. #27
    squonk85*'s Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 8, 2017
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by cba fan View Post
    His per catch avg is like a TE and he only had 3 td's. Almost 50 WR ranked ahead of him in 2016.

    Her has talent. A possession guy with little YAC and for those who say he is a big red zone threat. 3 td's should answer that question. I like him. I hope he breaks out a little more w TT throwing short. I don't like him instead of Darby or if you combine the two trades I don't like him instead of Watkins and a 6th round draft pick.

    He could have been had for a 5th round pick as the Eagles had too many WR and wanted to dump.
    Then you should have made the trade then, if you only had to give up a 5th. Oh wait, you don't have the job as Gm. Matthews 3 year #'s are comparable to some of the best in the game, not to mention he is on the field, when you need him to be. Cornerbacks are a dime a dozen, more so than running backs, the team didn't feel Gilmore warranted the money it was going to cost to keep him and Darby's not as good as Gilmore. To say the 2 players just acquired will be gone by March is ludicrous, Beane has a full season to determine if Matthews and Gaines fit into what they want to accomplish here. Just once I would like to see people on this board look to the ceiling for results instead of the floor.

  8. #28
    cba fan's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 22, 2002
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by squonk85* View Post
    Then you should have made the trade then, if you only had to give up a 5th. Oh wait, you don't have the job as Gm. Matthews 3 year #'s are comparable to some of the best in the game, not to mention he is on the field, when you need him to be. Cornerbacks are a dime a dozen, more so than running backs, the team didn't feel Gilmore warranted the money it was going to cost to keep him and Darby's not as good as Gilmore. To say the 2 players just acquired will be gone by March is ludicrous, Beane has a full season to determine if Matthews and Gaines fit into what they want to accomplish here. Just once I would like to see people on this board look to the ceiling for results instead of the floor.
    I would make that trade for a 5th in a heartbeat.

    Respectively I would add, Watkins and Darby ceiling is so far above the two guys they got back your statement to do that makes no sense.

    If they are gone in Mar then Bills would be in line for comp picks. Like Pats do every year. Does not spin this as good moves.

    E J Gaines cap hit this yr is almost exactly 1 million more than Darby would have been.

    Sammy has a 2017 dead cap for Bills of 690,000. Matthews cap hit is 1.01 million. So Bills now paying 1.7 million for 1 WR services, and getting less.(just opinion it is less as I predict Sammy breakout if he stayed)

    Bills would have only pd 690,000 to see if Sammy is the real deal now healthy. What other 31 GM's would not sign up for that???

    Apparently at One Bills Drive it cost more to get less and get worse.
    cba fan

  9. Rock on:

    bv (Yesterday)

  10. #29
    DC2007's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 8, 2017
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by cba fan View Post
    I would make that trade for a 5th in a heartbeat.

    Respectively I would add, Watkins and Darby ceiling is so far above the two guys they got back your statement to do that makes no sense.

    If they are gone in Mar then Bills would be in line for comp picks. Like Pats do every year. Does not spin this as good moves.

    E J Gaines cap hit this yr is almost exactly 1 million more than Darby would have been.

    Sammy has a 2017 dead cap for Bills of 690,000. Matthews cap hit is 1.01 million. So Bills now paying 1.7 million for 1 WR services, and getting less.(just opinion it is less as I predict Sammy breakout if he stayed)

    Bills would have only pd 690,000 to see if Sammy is the real deal now healthy. What other 31 GM's would not sign up for that???

    Apparently at One Bills Drive it cost more to get less and get worse.
    You are talking CAP costs, they save REAL money, by send the contract out, it's a huge win from that perspective and after all this is a business. Sammy is clearly the better potential player, but he has to be on the field to make a difference and there's no saying he can be.

  11. #30
    cba fan's Avatar
    Range Member

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 22, 2002
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2007 View Post
    You are talking CAP costs, they save REAL money, by send the contract out, it's a huge win from that perspective and after all this is a business. Sammy is clearly the better potential player, but he has to be on the field to make a difference and there's no saying he can be.
    I made a mistake. Watkins has no dead cap either just like Matthews, Darby, and Gaines. All bonuses have amortized last year. Sportrak site showed me Rams and I read it wrong. Sorry.

    The following money Bills pay is real cash not just cap hit. Over 1 million more to have Gaines vs Darby and $310,00 more to have Matthews instead of Watkins.

    With all bonuses amortized last year, that of course is why it is easier to trade them now with no dead cap.

    I hear you loud and clear on Sammy not being on the field.

    Just my opinion he is now healthy and will have a monster year with Bills and Tyrod. Not sure if he will with Goff. We will see. Thanks for the debate.
    cba fan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •